When Hells Collide

Prologue

"Halt!"

     The commander's order rang out across the plain over the sound of hundreds of thousands of feet churning and stamping the earth. The huge army slowly grated to a stop. Commander Markus watched from high atop his steed as the order took effect.

     First the horse and riders stopped. The Contarius put their spears in specially made sheaths and reined their horses in. The Turmas put their quivers in their saddlebag and gave their horses a handful of oats.

     The infantry were next to heed the command. The Murmillos in their titanium armor stopped and started polishing their helmets while murmuring idle small talk to each other. The Automatons came to a statuelike paralysis at attention, occasionally removing an arm or even their heads to remove a fly or some dirt that had been trapped inside. The Prothmethians started picking up dirt from the ground and making little figurines, making a small gladiator arena and prodding the newly born claymen in. An officer came over to a few of them and gave them an order. About six prothmethians broke away from the group and suddenly split in two. The twelve childlike figures ran off in all points of the comapass, the ones at the front of the army teaming up. These new scouts would be exploring for any enemies.

     While all this was happening, the Arcai stopped to sit and immediately began oiling their bows in preparation for battle, a grim air about them. The Fanatics stopped. clearly unhappy that the battle was being held off. They soon stopped and walked toward the horses, gently stroking their mane and whispering to them, although the horses were clearly displeased and angry. The Kapastles threw their maces to the ground and stretched their arms, animatedly talking to one another.

     The creatures came to a stop soon after. The Heka Gigantus rumbled and started making themselves a bed by digging up the dirt with all four of their huge arms. A few of them lowered giant tanks of water that they had been carrying and a many that were scattered throughout the army let go of the kitchen wagons they had been pulling. The tanks suddenly emitted blasts of lightning and a few birds that had been unlucky enough to pass overhead fell through the sky among the tanks. The Gigantus tossed the birds into the tanks and a frothing sound was soon heard inside.

     Behind the tanks and the gigantus lurked the argus. They floated silently without touching the ground on their four tentacles. Their many eyes looked every which way, and they hissed at anyone who came near them. The only creatures they allowed near them were the Lampades. These nymphs who held two lights in their hands seemed to have a calming effect on the argus.

     The satyrs stuck their spears in the ground and pulled bottles of wine out of their seemingly endless stock. The behemoths grunted and tossed their heads until they found some trampled ferns ripping them up in their sharp teeth. They were obviously displeased that it was not meat, but seemed to be content with it until meat was available. They eyed the human part of the army with a hunger that was insatiable. However a particularly large Gigantus blocked the way and growled at them and they started munching their ferns with a newfound dedication.

     A large shadow cast itself over the army and lasted several minutes until the flying units landed. The stymphlian birds landed near kitchens and loosed a cloud of sharp metallic feathers when anyone came near who did not hold food in their hands. The caladria drifted down to earth, the men staring up at them and gawking appreciatively. The caladria noticed and smacked the men over the head with a firm swipe of their gold-capped staves. They were healed moments later and helped groggily to their feet by their sniggering companions.

     Commander Markus looked at the city they were about to raid, from the back of the army, a large shadow roared. The commander smiled grimly. The war was about to begin.

AN: Dedication of the prologue to Parogar for helping me edit. Go read his books Questing Sucks or Psych Investigation Episodes!