Section 3: Backstory

This is likely the most difficult part of making your character. I cannot possibly hope to list everything that could go wrong here; but don't panic! Just take it slow, and make sure to remember a few things. First of all;

Things to Avoid

Death of Family - This is a very sensitive issue. While having a family member to your character die isn't an uncommon occurrence, the way that it is done can be a big deal. Having a villain kill your character's parents and/or siblings before their eyes is rather dramatic, and if done incorrectly can lead to accusations of a Mary-Sue.
Death of Lovers - This can just plain get uncomfortable. While not an impossible occurrence- especially in wartime, it can lead to problems. One, for the same reasons I suggest avoiding dramatic family deaths; two, for the after-effect. Be careful with how your character reacts to this; constant whining and being set off on a rant about this at the slightest thing gets annoying and uncomfortable very quickly.
The Revenge Cliché - The most overused plot device in the history of plots. Though I myself am guilty of using this at least once, it does get very boring. One faction or a character from that faction did something to your character, so now they have to join the other faction to get back at them. Yeah, woohoo. Be creative with how they got where they are!
The Orphan - This... can be pathetic, honestly. It often goes with The Revenge Cliché, but not always. The concept that the character was made an orphan by one faction and therefore joined the other for revenge is horribly overused, as is the idea that your poor widdle orphan OC was taken in by a nice guy from one of the factions.
The Science Experiment - Another plot to go hand-in-hand with The Revenge Cliché, this is tiring at times. The character is used by one faction as an experiment and escapes to join the other. Woohoo.
Canon Relatives - This is something you really need to be careful doing. Having your character as the child of a canon (a character that is already in the show/comics) is widely frowned upon as getting into being a Mary-Sue. This is because to create a child, there must be parents- and that means a slash pairing (two canon characters together) or an OC and a canon character together (see below). Being siblings with them is getting rather iffy as well. As a general concept, I avoid this altogether; the closest I have ever gotten to this is that one of my OCs might be a distant cousin of Skyquake and Dreadwing.
Canon Lovers - This is also a big no-no, especially for beginners. It takes a LOT of work to pull off pairing your character with one that exists in the show; unless you do a lot- and I mean a LOT- of writing and have done so over a long period of time so that you understand the development this kind of thing takes, I do not recommend it.