Chapter 2- There's A Hero Among Us

Louis’s P.O.V.

I had spent some time shopping and was ready for Liam to pick me up from the mall. I picked up my phone and dialed his number to remind him. “Hello?” Liam said. “Hey lad, can you come pick me up?” I inquired. “Oh ya, I forgot; I’m coming now and will be there in ten minutes.” Liam cheerfully responded. He hung up before I could say goodbye. I casually leaned against the wall of the store and while staring at the stars, I saw the girl. She was walking towards her car with a purse on one of her arms. Her car was the only one left and besides some drunks, she was the only one still here. My attention was turned when I got a text. Liam said the boys wanted pizza and thought I should call in. It was late, but I was extremely hungry and the others were probably starving too. The phone rang and a high-pitched female voice answered, “Domino’s Pizza, how may I help you?” “Ummm… yes, I would like an extra-large, half cheese pizza and half bacon pizza delivered to Room 514 in the Marriot on Water Street,” I told the obnoxious woman on the other side of the line. She said the order would be ready in 20-45 minutes and just when she asked for a payment type I heard a loud screech from the other side of the parking lot. It was a girl and she called for help a few times before stopping. I hung up on the lady and started sprinting over to where the voice came from.

My heart raced when I imagined that innocent girl capitulating to the drunken men. Her trying to escape but not being able to fight back, or do anything, was horrifying in my mind. My feet picked up the pace and then I saw the dirt bags that were drinking scotch and smoking hovering over her. One guy was tracing his hand up and down her legs and she couldn’t move. Her skirt was tossed to the side and she was bleeding. I yelled, “Hey, what the hell do you think you are doing!” They all turned around and three out of the four walked over to me. “Buddy, I think you should leave before you start any other problems.” A tall figure spit at me.  I stepped closer and said, “I’m not going anytime soon.” The same man flailed a punch for my face and I ducked. I punched his gut repeatedly and tripped him as he stumbled back. I kicked his chest just to keep him in torture for a little longer. The other man was practically bald and tried to kick me. I took his foot, twisted his leg, and pushed him into a near pole. He rested a few seconds before standing up rapidly. I swung my fist at the guy and he came back by jumping on top of me.  I easily beat him and punched his face so many times that I inevitably broke his nose in two. The last guy was still standing and there was still the leader near that girl. He swung for my face and hit me square in the jaw. I up-cut his jaw, kicked his gut, and then stepped on his back when he rolled over. None of them cared to get up so I walked over to the “leader” of the gang and severely asserted him, “You better leave this girl alone or their will be consequences.” I harshly remarked. His eyes were bloodshot and his hands were filthy. “Oh, yeah what are you going to do about it pretty boy?” The man slurred. His teeth were half-brown and his face had major aging even though he might have been in his 30’s. He suddenly pushed my chest and then I responded by pushing him back so hard his head whacked into the ground. I got down and kicked his ribs before connecting my shoe to his face. He lay there in agony and I walked swiftly over to the girl.

 My body squatted next to her as I examined all the damage that she has to take. Her legs were covered in goose bumps and some marks from the guys holding her down tightly. She had a huge black eye and was bleeding a good amount. Her knees were seriously scraped and I knew she would have major bruises from any kicks or punches involved. She seemed a little out of it and almost in a daze. She hardly spoke, “Thank you for doing that. You were so good and can you help me to my car?” I softly replied, “My friend is coming and he will drive us to the hospital; you are pretty beaten up okay?” She shook her head and just stared at the sky. This girl was so stunning. Her hair was a dark brown and her eyes were a deep blue. I waited by her side asking concise questions to her so she would remain conscious. I reached for her skirt but it was half torn and covered in dust. I took out the small jacket I had been wearing and wrapped it around her hips. She moaned a little from the pain of moving her and then stopped once she was back down. Liam’s car pulled up and I waved for him.

All the guys were still sitting and probably aching form the hard blows they took from me. Liam came over and rolled down his window saying, “Man what happened here?” Before I could reply one of the gang members shouted hoarsely, “Someone’s here. Get up off your asses and run!!!” They all got up at a moderate pace and started to quickly go away. “That’s right, run you fucking cowards!!” I screamed at the four disgusting men sprinting towards the exit. I looked back up to Liam and explained to him, “I was ordering pizza for all of us when I heard a really loud scream. I ran over here and those guys had beaten her up and were trying to rape her. I took care of it all but I am worried about her.” Liam’s faced became surprised and through gritted teeth said in a calm, but deadly tone, “Those bastards! Why would they do that to the poor girl? Louis, get her in the car so we can bring her to the Emergency Room.” I carefully lifted her up off the ground. She was light and her head immediately fell onto my chest. Liam got out of the car and opened up the back car door for me. With great caution, I placed her into the seat and buckled her in so she wouldn’t move everywhere. Liam and I both got into the car quickly and Liam rapidly drove off. “Tell the other boys to come meet us at the hospital,” Liam said tersely while tensing up his face, forming a frown. I looked back at her and her eyes were squinting. The light was probably hurting her eyes, but I couldn’t fix it and I felt horrible. Her head was bobbing when we drove over the lousy potholes. I was pissed that I didn’t keep watching her while I waited for Liam. She was severely beaten and four drunken guys took on her alone. Liam picked up speed and the car jerked to a stop when we reached the front entrance of the Emergency Room.