Chapter 1: A Hollingsworth Hell

~-~The next day in class~-~

My notebooks are so full of doodles- it's ridiculous. I just can't help myself from writing his name over and over and over again. Could I be in love? Miles Hollingsworth, Miles Hollingsworth, Miles Hollingsworth. The way the letters of his name float off of my fingertips and onto the blank pages, screaming at me to fill it with endless drawings of hearts and...

"June!"

I jerk upright in my seat and snap my notebook shut, "Yes, ma'am?" I clear my throat. "Ms. Michalchuk?"

"Have you written down any notes so far that are worth sharing with the rest of us, hun?"

"No."

"Really? It looked as though you've made quite the discovery. Please, do tell."

A couple kids in the back of the classroom snicker and chuckle. I slouch back down into my chair and cross my arms. Having attention drawn to me is something I really hate. The faster this blondie teacher-- Ms. Michalchuk-- gets off of my back, I'll be able to take a breather and doodle again.

"Okay." I shrug, all eyes are on me, but my eyes are on the ground. "You caught me doodling. I'm sorry."

The young woman smiles, except I can't tell if it's genuine or not.
"Don't..." She snatches the notebook from me, "...let me catch your mind wandering off like that again, hun."

Duly noted.

Now give me the notebook back before I make a scene. Please.

The woman clears her throat as if she's going to read her findings aloud, but she silently flips through my pages and walks back over to her desk. "Everyone, get back to working on the assigned notes."

Victor MacPherson raises his hand and calls out from the other side of the room, "I'd love to work on you, miss. I mean, if you'd like to assign me as your partner." he smirks at the teacher.

Unamused, she sighs like a teenager. Although, she seems like she must be at least in her mid-twenties or so. "Victor, to Principal Simpson's office, now."

On his way out of the room, he remarks with a wink, "This is chemistry class, after all."

"Victor! Out!"

The boy slams the door shut behind him, and I can hear his girlfriend giggling beside me.

His girlfriend; Frankie Hollingsworth. She twirls a pen between her fingertips and then around some strands of hair. Everyone perceives her as so innocent and intelligent and brave and bold and-- no. I am here to personally deny all of those false statements. Frankie Hollingsworth is nothing more than a fake.

No, I'm not just jealous.

Ms. Michalchuk shoots a glare at Frankie for edging on the inappropriate behavior with her laughing.

Frankie quickly puts on an innocent smile for display, and Ms. Michalchuk returns the smile, getting back to work and forgetting about what just happened.

For the most part, the classroom is silent. Except for the occasional murmuring, whispering and buzz.

Little miss princess Frankie leans over to me and whispers in my ear, talking about the teacher, "Jeez, what a push-over. Right?" She nudges me in the arm.

"Yeah. I guess." I shrug and keep my eyes on my paper.

"Hey. I always wondered why you don't talk much. Is there like a special reason or something? Still getting used to your own voice?"
"No."
"Then what is it?"