Epilogue: Moments

Jackson

I've waited two years for this. Two years of phone calls, video chats, and texting. She's never stopped amazing me with her voice, her laugh, her smile, and her heart.

I wipe the sweat from my palms as I walk around, searching for the exact spot she usually sits to video chat with me. For two whole years, she's claimed a specific seat on a small table under the trees near the little cafe stand near the chemistry building. I scan the area, knowing full well that she wouldn't get there until 2 p.m. on her current schedule, but I have to be sure not to ruin the surprise.

Standing behind one of the foundational posts of the building, I wait for her arrival. As the clock hits 1:50 p.m. I start scanning the area again as students start pouring out of each building in plain view.

I spot Rosie in a flowy white dress, walking toward the cafe stand and getting in line. I sneakily step in behind her, quietly waiting for her to notice, but she doesn't.

Good. That means she doesn't flirt with others.

As it reaches her turn in line, I pull out my wallet, taking a ten dollar bill out. After she finishes her order, I step up, handing the barista my money, adding, "What she wanted, plus a medium cup of coffee."

She turns with a scowl, which I find hilarious. I guess she really doesn't flirt with others. Her scowl dissolves into disbelief as she stares at me with wide eyes.

"Jackson!" She throws her arms around me and I almost tip backward from her force.

"Hey, Chipmunk," I greet her with a chuckle.

"What are you doing here?" She yells in excitement.

"I wanted it to be a surprise, but I transferred here. I was worried they wouldn't want me, but they did, so as of next quarter, which is," I glance at my nonexistent watch on my wrist, "after this summer."

She wraps her arms around me again, pressing herself onto my chest, where my heart beats wildly at the sight of her. She's so pretty.

~o~

We sit at her usual table, sipping our drinks and laughing.

"You didn't tell your parents about transferring until you were packing your things into your car?" She gives me an expression of shock, shaking her head, "You need to stop doing stupid things like that."

"I can't promise to not do stupid things," I smirked flirtatiously, "But I can promise to be stupidly in love with you." I nudge her elbow.

She frowns at me. "That was so bad. Like really bad. I'm not saying it back."

She gets up to throw away her trash, which is only a few steps from her seat. I get up and follow her silently until she turns around and gasps.

Resting my hand on the side of her face, I tilt her head up for our lips to meet. The intoxicating scent of her strawberry chapstick and coconut shampoo swirl around in my mind, tangling my every thought.

As I finally pull away, I rest my forehead on hers, our eyes meeting.

"How about now?" I ask her.

"Huh?" She seems dazed.

"I love you, Rosie," I tell her quietly.

"I love you, too, Jackson," she willingly responds with her soft brown eyes glistening.

That's how I know that this is a moment to start a million others with her and I silently vow to myself to cherish every one of them from here on out.

A/N:

Alright alright alright alright alright

It's completed! I hope you enjoyed reading this cute short story as much as I did writing it!

More stories to come, but probably not short stories. I do have a cute and funny one coming up, so stay tuned for more cuteness, with a little more depth to the story this time.

Thanks for reading!

-My