Chapter one: Boots

“Here lies Sorra Listar. She lived and died the same way, always reckless and always… proud to stand for all that she believed in.”

The small audience clapped as the small woman stepped down from her podium. Tears crowded her creased face, and her short, regulated, brown and silver hair clung close to her cheeks. Most of the people had filed out of the cemetery before this particular event even began, and the woman let out a wretched sob and flung her weary arms around the neck of a much taller man. He closed his eyes and held her close, the grey mist gathering about their feet. The darkness hung in the air like poison, thickening and wrapping itself all around the hearts of the family members.

“She was only eighteen, how will we manage without her?” the woman asked, her warm breath billowing in the frigid air near the man’s ear.

“We’ll find a way, sweetheart.” He patted her back and then pulled gently away. “It’s time to let her rest, though.” His long, deft hand found it’s way into his companion’s and their fingers twined together. In the center of a cemetery, the lady let herself fall against the man, laying her head on his shoulder.

“Sorra…” The man stepped over to the casket and placed a single, dirty, scarred, hand on the open top. The young girl lying inside seemed to be sleeping. Her tan skin had not yet paled with death and her eyelids rested over eyes that had always burned with passion and life. Heavy metal and leather boots remained tightly laced onto her feet.

*                      *                      *

“MOM!”

“What, Sorra?” I came pounding down a flight of stairs, “Sorra, take that silly thing off your face!” My mother scowled just slightly, then patted cooking flour off her long brown skirt. She had solid brunette hair cut into a straight style above her shoulders

“No! Have you seen my shoes?”

“How can you loose them on the first day of work?”

“I don’t know! They’re gone!” I shouted, running past the diminutive woman in the kitchen.

“Sorra, slow down, ask dad if he has any you could wear.” The woman smiled broadly; finally her little girl was fifteen. Sorra could start work and help support the family, not to mention that she had been waiting to get out of school for the past five years.

“Okay!” I hurried into the back room, a massive grin crossing her face, “Dad, do you have any shoes that I could fit in?” I skidded to a stop in front of a tall, hunched man sitting in a room crowded with clothes and large bags.

“You aren’t due for a new pair for another two months.” He didn’t even look up from the shoe that he was holding. It was a heavy, black combat boot that laced up tall with massive buckles and straps holding it.

“But I lost mine and I have the job test today!” I bounced up and down, biting my lip and letting her bright red ponytail bounce and sway chaotically.

“Fine.” He glanced up with a pleasant grin, “This one was specifically for you anyways. Happy Birthday.” He swiped back his shaggy dark hair with one hand and passed the boots to his daughter with the other.

“Really? Oh, Thanks so much, Dad!” I immediately bent over and pulled up my thick, grey socks.

“Like them?” I tugged them on and laced them halfway up before jumping and crashing against the floor with a loud smash.

“I love them!” I examined the way that they perfectly fit my feet, my father had taken a job with production and his specialty was fixing and making shoes.

“I’m glad…” He took my hand in his own for just a second before sending me off, there was a hint of regret in his worn grey eyes, “Be careful what you choose, Sorra.”

“I will, I know what I want to do.” I flashed a grin and flew out the door, slinging my dark pack over my shoulders.

“Bye honey!” the brunette woman called as the door slammed shut behind me.

I nearly skipped through the cracked streets, finally I could get out of the metal desks and barred windows and sterile-smelling rooms and blank-faced teachers. Finally I could become a guard, train outside and meet new people… it would be a dream come true.