Chapter 2: Old

School was nonexistent in a world like mine.
Did I drop out? No.
Did I get thrown out like 93% of the town's population?
One again. No.
I still go every once in a while.
The teachers hardly notice that I'm gone.
Everyone in this place has their own story.
Mine? My story is a blank page.
My story is as good as an author with writer's block.
Too much has happened in my life to be taken in.
It's as if I don't have one set personality.
I like to jump around.
Today was one of the days in particular that school crossed my mind, as I lie sprawled across my bed, listening to the hum of the radiator providing the heat for the entire rickety place I called my home.
I pull the covers over my head, cocooning myself between the worn sheets.
Someone walks up the stairs.
No doubtlessly my drunken mother.
Wild coyotes howl outside my window sending chills down my spine.
I never liked them.
The coyotes.
Their howls in the middle of the night give me the feeling of loneliness.
The feeling no one wants to feel.
At last, I fall asleep.

That morning I wake early.
I turn, sliding my legs over the edge of my bed.
The pads of my feet hit the cold wooden surface of the floor beneath me and I shudder at a newfound cold filling my body.
The floor groans under my soft footsteps and the sound of bare feet hitting wood follows me to my bathroom, the only room in the house that I appreciate.
The only room in the house that I have my privacy.
I look at my reflection in the mirror and frown.
I was never pretty.
I had pin straight chocolate brown hair that wouldn't take in curls for it's life, accompanied by green eyes that were too big for my small triangular face.
Aimlessly gazing at my small collection of makeup I shake my head before I walk back out.
I put on a simple shirt with a faded logo of, some store, that I without doubt never walked into in my life, and a pair of worn boyfriend jeans with black canvas shoes.
"Good enough"
Grumbling my words I hop down the steps to my kitchen where a mess lies in place.
I exhale before open the door to my car and step inside.
The smell of cigarettes and worn leather fills my nostrils as I turn the key in the exhaust and pull out of the driveway.
Time for what was soon to be the day of my life.

Hey guys! Long time no update but I'm back and very much alive! I hope you enjoy this new chapter and if you did give me a vote and a comment with some suggestions! I'll try to update more often!

-Nathalie Richards-