Chapter 14

The next few months seemed to fly by, and only two months before the date set for them to marry, Loki and Maryn were closer than ever and still learning about each other.

The Sun Celebration was a time of great feasting and merriment for the people of Asgard. Gatherings popped up all over the city and the palace was not to be out-done by any. Every courtier and royal was dressed in gold to represent the life giving force of the sun that warmed their planet.

Maryn's dress was a one-shouldered affair made of the finest gold silk that hugged the curves of her body beautifully. Along the neckline and over her right thigh and down to the floor, the skirt of the dress was open to reveal a panel of skin coloured material overlaid with gold tulle which was embroidered with swirls of gold thread. The bodice was ruched and two lengths of gold silk draped from the single strap over Maryn's left shoulder and down to the floor. Her hair was pinned up in a bun made from a spiralling braid, pieces falling on her neck and framing her face. She wore her engagement ring, Loki's pendant tucked under the neckline of the gown, as well as a wide cuff of gold that looked like lace and a ring of gold, white enamel and a diamond made to look like a starburst. As with every Asgardian invited to the celebration, a delicate gold mask, which had also been made to look like lace, covered the upper half of her face and drew attention to her grey irises.

Loki came to her rooms to escort her to the feast, but when it came time to start dancing, he pulled her aside and kissed her deeply. Pulling away, the upper half of his face also hidden by a more masculine version of her mask, he grinned down at her, "Come away with me, love," he murmured to her his vibrant eyes shining with mischief.

She bit her lip and looked back out at the Aesir milling around, talking, laughing and drinking. Noticing none of them was watching her and Loki, she nodded and let him catch her hand and lead her quietly from the Great Hall.

They made their way out of the palace and stole into the ports where the flying skiffs were kept awaiting use.

"What are you doing?" Maryn whispered worried they were about to be caught at any moment. Loki didn't answer her and instead untied a skiff from its mooring and helped her into it before taking hold of the hand control and expertly flying them out of the port.

Maryn relaxed in the wide seat at the front of the skiff and watched the scenery around the small craft slip away around them. Soon they were soaring over treetops and she saw a shimmer below them as Loki manoeuvred the skiff down into a clearing before letting it settle in the water of their lagoon.

With a large smile over her shoulder at him, Maryn leaned over the side of the skiff and dipped her fingers into the water below, the ripples moving out from the side of the skiff making the reflection of the bright stars above them waver and fade.

Loki's arms wrapped around her from behind and she sighed at the brush of his lips against the back of her neck. He pulled gently at the black silk ribbons tying her mask on and loosed them before taking the mask from her face and putting it down on the seat beside them. Maryn leaned back into his strong chest and bit her lip as his fingers found the laces at the back of her gown.

"Swim with me," he murmured, the words sounding more like a command than a question.

Maryn smiled and leaned back into him further as her gown loosened and his hand slipped beneath the bodice to settle against her ribs, her skin bare of any shift because of the style of the dress.

Moaning slightly when his lips sucked at her pulse point, Maryn reached up to untie his mask, dropping it on the seat to join hers and then lacing her fingers in his hair at the nape of his neck. "I am not wearing a shift," she murmured, her eyes fluttering closed when his teeth nipped at the spot he was sucking on.