"A Gift to Walk"

A poem by Daniel Bailey (aka) The Danman258

            “A Gift to Walk”

Morning rise, I pray using words of thankfulness.

I reach for all the things God has given for the moment.

Without words I wash, clean, and preserve his kindness.

I open the door of the shelter that he provided.

My journey has no path and my purpose is only to walk.

From down to up and through sickness to better times.

There have been no greater feelings than when I walk. 

     Memories of walking started as I had thoughts of my mother. And with no doubt, I can truly say, I never seen my mother without her smile. One sun lit morning as my mother read the Wizard of Oz she stopped then smiled and cheerfully said, let's go for a walk.

     My siblings and I had no ideal of this journey, for we were plucked from our grandfather's farm to live in the city with our mother. I remember my sister saying, Mama, where are we walking to and my mother raced to the kitchen and prepared a basket for nourishments and a few things for care.

     Our first stop was the small grocery store that was below the apartment we lived in, saying hi to the Mr. Grains the store owner who was also our landlord. We then picked our favorite iced cold soda as my mother tried to pay. But Mr. Grains would not take the money instead, he packs the sodas in ice and placed them in our basket along with chips and smiles were all the way around.

     My questioning older sister Toni asked again, Mama, where we walking to and my mother still silent with an answer. After leaving the store my mother looked to us and said, let’s see where our legs will take us. And with basket and our souls we walked and talked, met people, spoke of dreams, and went to one of the biggest parks in Kansas City. The fun was immeasurable and the laughter I still hears today, as I look in to my mother’s aging eyes, I remember her words, let’s go for a walk.

PS: My mother was a little crazy taking 3 children from 12 streets to 63 street and back in one summer’s day. Who does that? But I love her for it.