The Invitation

It was a peaceful evening, the moon full in the sky of a sea of stars spread out amongst the pitch black void. An autumn rainstorm was ever so slowly approaching, the vague scent of rainwater hanging in the air.

I, Chauncey Jagermanjensen, had set course on a four-hour journey to a dinner party.

Yes, a dinner party. But it was not just any dinner party. It was a CLASSY dinner party.

Only those with the most extravagant names and titles in the land were invited. I had received a mysterious invitation telling me so.

The invitation had also assured me that the most expensive and delectable foods were to be served to the VIP guests.

In a mansion nonetheless. With a dining hall and everything else accompanying.

It was a dream come true.

It was just another average Tuesday morning for me when I received the letter. I had discovered the note right after I had finished my soak in my rooftop jacuzzi.

The envelope had somehow made its way onto my seventeenth floor kitchen counter. It had only a return address and the surname of the man or woman who had sent it.

Rutherford was the name.

As mysterious and suspicious as it had all seemed, what wealthy man with a smashing reputation to uphold would pass up an opportunity to attend a fancy dinner party?

Certainly not me.

The letter wrote,
"Dear Sir Jagermanjensen,

I am pleased to inform you that you have been carefully selected amongst the top 7% wealthiest characters in the world to attend a gathering that will be held on the thirteenth of October 2023, this upcoming Friday. Four others guests have agreed to participate in this event and I am anticipating that you will be our fifth. Amongst the idle chatter and the fawning over the decor, a bountiful feast is to be served, consisting of the richest, most delectable, and tender foods you have ever eaten.

Furthermore, if your interest has yet to be captured, a game is to be played after the feast. It is to remain a surprise until the very moment it begins. When you arrive, you are to be greeted by my butler, who has served my family loyally for many years now, Edgar. He will see to it that you are escorted to the dining hall and are as comfortable as you can possibly be. He's quite the character and I'm sure he will be very fond of you, as he has quite the liking for shiny objects, seeing as your never to be without family heirloom is always in your presence. It is quite a magnificent cane...

Anyhoo... I hope you will consider this cordial invitation and write a response back, confirming your attendance.

Sincerely Yours
- Rutherford"

Certainly I had to send my confirmation as quickly as humanly possible.

So, there I was, traveling by solid gold limousine, as only the wealthiest are capable of doing. The limousine was partially the reason why the journey had taken four hours when it should have only been one.

There is a price to pay, being privileged and whatnot.

As the limo entered through the gates and was pulling up to the estate, I took in the sights.

Lined up on the pavement were a diamond encrusted helicopter, a wonderful private jet, and a yacht parked in a large fountain. I never figured out how this feat was managed, but it was a marvelous sight to behold all the same.