The Gathering

Edgar let out a heavy sigh and began to shuffle across the room. He was headed towards a door that I presumed to be the entrance to the kitchen, the very place where the palatial feast was being prepared.

I decided that since the food had yet to be served, I would mingle with my peers.

The first lucky individual I chose to converse with was a woman dressed regally in a silver evening gown. Her dress was not simply a shiny metallic color of silver, it was literally made of melted down silver.

The dress had been taken through quite the process in order to be adorned by her.

The woman's hair was done up in an extravagant up-do that would have been plain ridiculous if a commoner were to attempt to replicate it. It vaguely resembled a raccoon that had been hit by a motorized scooter going at roughly the speed of twenty miles per hour. She managed to pull it off. She wore a matching stole and incredibly reflective heels.

She was a beautiful woman with fine taste.

I strolled up to her and introduced myself.

"Hello my good lady! It is a rather lovely evening for a feast, wouldn't say you? I am the illustrious Chauncey Jagermanjensen. Who might you be?" I said, clearly nailing my introduction.

"I am the esteemed Evangeline Kensington. Pleased to make your acquaintance." she replied in a droll manner.

Evangeline reached her right hand out to me in a manner any commoner could have mistaken as a dead fish handshake. I knew immediately the lovely woman was inviting me to bestow a kiss upon the dorsal of her hand.

"So how did you ever become so wealthy, Evangeline?" I asked, my attempt at making light conversation.

It was most likely not the most polite of conversation starters, but her loveliness had scrambled my incredible though process.

"Well, you see, my good man... My family is of an affluent background. I was born into wealth, but I have managed to make my own way in this world all the same." Evangeline explained.

"Intriguing... Well, I must converse with the other characters at this affair to keep things moving along." I excused myself.

I am not the biggest fan of people when they begin talking about themselves. I prefer when they ask about me, because I actually have interesting things to contribute to a conversation.

This may be part of the reason why I have a difficult time maintaining friendships.

"Very well." Evangeline replied, and I was off to meet the next attendee.

The next persona was a gentleman, perhaps in his sixties, ever so slightly resembling the ever so infamous Saint Nicholas, the man who breaks into children's homes to bestow them with gifts.

He wore a burgundy red suit with black dress shoes, a burgundy bowler hat, and a monocle that appeared to be carefully crafted from rubies and obsidian.

"Hello good sir, so lovely to make your acquaintance, my name is-"

"Chauncey Jagermanjensen, yes, I am aware of who you are." the man so rudely cut me off to say.

The man continued, "I am the renowned Bartholomew Burgess XIX. My great-great-great-so on-grandfather is well known for the creation of the hamburger, if you must know how I have obtained my fortune. Now please leave me to my thoughts of the grandeur feast." he concluded and walked off.

Bartholomew clearly thought of himself as all that and a bag of chips.

I was not all that fond of the Bartholomew fellow, but I let his rudeness slide. I wasn't about to let one insensitive and inimical man ruin my evening.