Chapter 2: Best Friend

"Amber!!! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!"

"How did you get up there ..."

"It doesn't matter! Where were you this morning?!"

"Alarm broke." I said not wanting to tire myself into explaining anything any further. She stopped shaking me and stared intensely. She looked at me directly in the eyes, squinting her eyes as she did. Always trying to intimidate the truth out from me. She already caught on that I 'may' have had problems and she was determined to find out what they were but I had no intention on getting her involved in anything deeper than she was already in. I will not take the risk of losing the only friend I have.

"... And you expect me to believe that, even though you know that I know that you wake up even before the sun does?" She stated as a matter-of-fact kind of way and she was right.

"Yes, I do expect you to believe it. It could really happen, you know."

*THONK!*

"OW! WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!" I said, now rubbing the back of my head where Heather had just hit me but it didn't hurt as much. I was just a bit surprised. Heather rarely hit me like that, not even playfully. The regret of what she'd done evident on her face but still held her ground.

"Geez, and I even messaged you so many times for you to wake up." She said teary-eyed. I apologized and she brightened up afterwards. She then got to preparing where we usually had our lunch. Obviously, here at the roof top where we could see the blue sky that had fluffy white clouds scattered beautifully all through out it. The wind was subtle as it pleasantly passed our skin with a slight sound that was relaxing to the ears. It was heaven being here. Nothing mattered, just us enjoying our meals.

The peace didn't last long. My good mood dispersed into nothing when I saw what was inside my lunch box and then thought why It didn't occur to me to check before I left. The box had a great big pile of brownish-red mush that no one could distinguish what it was. Was it meat? or Garbage? Neither of it fit it's texture nor it's unrecognizable smell. My nose scrunched up as the unbearable odor flared through my nostrils.

Heather who was just in front of me saw everything and was now scooting away because of the smell. It was just horrible. Her hands were covering her nose and mouth trying to retain the fresh air that she still had but later went coughing because she lacked oxygen. I would have laughed but considering that it was MY lunch that smelled bad I didn't.

I wondered why my reflexes hadn't worked yet and closed the dreaded death trap and when I finally did I let out a gasp of relief. The smell not disappearing but Heather seemed to have already recovered from the sudden 'bomb'.

"Sorry.." I trailed off.

"Alright!" She yelled and stood up with a very determined look upon her face which made me raise an eyebrow, wondering what her brain would have come up with this time.

"Alright.. what?" I asked, hesitating whether I should have or not have asked.

"I'll fetch you every morning until you get a new alarm clock." She excitedly yelled, already forgotten the disgust we both felt just awhile ago. Heather grabbed my hands and put them together, her hands covering them. I could almost swear that I was seeing stars in her eyes with how excited and delighted she was about the idea but I didn't like being taken care of. I wanted to be on my own but the 'Superiors' had different ideas on mind which led me to being stuck with Frain and Craig.

"But..." I was going to protest but she wouldn't have it. Just like her to be so one-sided.

"No buts!" There was no helping her when she gets like this. No one could change her mind once she decideds what she wants. Not even her mom could stop her. Just like when she wanted to get into this school that harbours students of excellence even though she wasn't as excellent as the school would have liked her to be and yet she persisted. Miraculously, she managed to get in. She told me that she had crammed the whole night before the exam.