Chapter 7

I was currently speed walking down the hallway in hopes of seeing one person and one person only. I wanted to talk to Jeff and make plans, as friends, you know? I just couldn't stop thinking about how much fun we had last night.

Also, thanks to Sheri and the word of me joining the cheerleading team, more people wanted to be my friend. God, it felt so good to finally be noticed. I didn't have other people dragging me down.

I flashed a simple smile at girls who would wave, smile, or even approach me. Ignoring some of the dirty comments, winks, and biting of lips boys would send my way. I noticed through the crowds of the hallways, Hannah by her locker. Her long brown hair hung halfway over her shoulders as she was solving her locker combination.

She noticed the sudden chatter that erupted through the hallways and her eyes met mine. She gave a small smile but my first reaction was to look away. I soon regretted it.

I brushed off the moment between us when I heard the familiar voice of Jeff, only for it to be followed by a perky giggle.

I furrowed my eyebrows and stayed halfway behind a near white wall I found, watching Jeff and a girl with long brown hair and blue eyes flirt with Jeff. I squinted at the two, feeling a pang in my stomach, watching their mouths move and curl up into smirks and grins.

I turned on my heel angrily only to run into somebody. I looked up and saw Tyler with the same camera he never seemed to put down. "Watch it." I snapped, knowing I wouldn't be this mean any other day but I wasn't in the mood right now.

...

"Guys! Tonight we have a game and if we perform the way we are now we may as well not show up! Let's go!" Jess ordered as she snapped her fingers making me roll my eyes and sigh in frustration.

She was going totally overboard with this. Sheri was sick and she was taking over for today and I don't know what's gotten into her but she's been totally bossy.

She eventually grew so frustrated she just dismissed us to take five. The other girls went off in groups, some on the bleachers, some gossiping about Jessica.

I took a deep breath and tightened my ponytail before walking over to the stressed girl. She sat with her legs crossed, elbows on her knees, head in her hands. I sat down next to her before saying, "Hey, Jess. You've been off today, more than usual." I joked while letting a small chuckle escape my lips.

She sighed before releasing her head and her brown eyes glistened over to my green ones, "It's my dad. He's leaving again. He won't tell me where. Probably because it's some country we shouldn't even be in war with."

I examined her facial features, noticing the sorrow in her eyes as I patted her back, bringing her in closer as I surrounded her with a hug of reassurance.

"Fuck my life.." She mumbled quietly but loud enough for me to hear.

"Fuck my life.." I whispered back.

...

"Stay safe, Nelly, okay? Seriously call me if you need anything. Like, anything." I rolled my eyes hardly listening to a word Clay was saying while he rode his bike at a slow pace to keep up with my walking.

"Clay, I've been walking home for a long time now, why are you babying me?" I scoffed, not even glancing over at him but continuing to stare ahead.

"Just be careful alright? See you at home." I gave a silent 'peace' sign towards him and his gears shifted as he began to petal faster.

I watched my slightly older brother as his jacket flew back while he yelled happily making me shake my head in embarrassment.

I looked to my right noticing the same coffee shop I go to with Jessica every other day after school. Deciding my stop wouldn't hurt anybody, I began walking towards Monet's before I saw Jeff in the window waiting patiently for someone.

I then realized we were supposed to meet up today so I could give him a tutoring session. I've had so much on my mind I completely forgot.

His eyes wandered before finally meeting with mine and his face lit up immediately. He saw my hesitant movements and decided to take matters into his own hands hurrying outside.

I began to think for too long on whether or not I should just walk away but it was too late and before I knew it the tall boy was standing in front of me.

He smiled brightly pointing to the shop behind him, "You wanna head in? I ordered you a drink, I hope you don't mind."

I smiled uncontrollably at how sweet he was but then remembered the scene with him and that girl and my smile faded away. "I'm gonna have to rain check on this one, Jeff. I'm sorry."

He began to frown as well then cleared his throat, "O-Okay, umm, did I say something wrong-"

"-Who was that girl?" I couldn't stop myself from blurting out, it being the only thing on my mind at the moment. He looked at me in shock, taken back at the sudden question.

"What girl, P?"

"This morning. In the halls. Who was she?" I continued with my curiosity.

He couldn't help but fight the smirk that was creeping onto his face which made me slowly grow frustrated. "What's so funny?"

He shook his head before looking into my eyes, "You're jealous, P." He nodded as he bit his lip.

I furrowed my eyebrows before softly slapping his arm at his accusation, "Am not!"

"You are."

"I'm not!"

He held his hands up in defense, "Fine, you're not jealous. Can we go in now?" He raised his eyebrow.

I hesitated before coming to a final conclusion. "I'll see you tomorrow, Jeff."

...

I looked out into the bleachers just before we were about to begin the game. It was crazy that the cheerleaders did this every week.

My heart was beating as I scanned over all the bodies of people just waiting anxiously for the game to get started.

Clay said he couldn't make it to the game, he was too busy with Hannah or something. Therefore, I didn't really have support.

Jessica tried to reassure me telling me it'll all be over in no time, giving me slightly less nervous but not a whole lot.

I began to notice at the end of the bleachers was someone standing up with a sign that had my name on it. It was very well decorated and very noticeable for everybody to see.

I didn't know who the person was until their arms got tired and the removal of the sign revealed their face. It was Jeff, of course.

He noticed me and waved excitedly as he called my name making me walk over shyly.

"Jeff, what are you doing?" I asked him, embarrassed but at the same time really flattered.

"Even though you're upset with me, I'm not gonna miss your first game as a cheerleader. Look, I'm your number one fan." He waved to poster in the air and I forced his arms down as I laughed at his excitement.

"I'm not upset with you, and I'm sorry I got jealous." I mumbled the last part, not wanting to admit he was right.

"What was that?" He smirked cockily.

"I'm not gonna say it again-" My sentence was interrupted when he leaned down, allowing his lips to meet mine.

It caught me off guard, almost making me fall back but he wrapped a strong arm around my waist.

I voluntarily kissed him back, hesitantly wrapping my arms around his neck.

He pulled away slowly, biting his lip a habit he seemed to have. "Now get out there and make me proud."