Chapter 8

"I'm not following." Clay gave me a confused look, shaking his head. I groaned, wanting to bang my head on the desk in the library in frustration.

I was subtly trying to ask him permission to hang out with Jeff but for some reason he wasn't getting it. I just think it's the right thing to do, considering how close the two are. I didn't want to just take Jeff from him without an explanation.

I took a deep breath, "Okay, Clay, I don't know how else to say this so I'm just going to spit it out." He nodded slowly making me relieved he understood at least one thing I was telling him.

"I really like J-"

"Hey guys." Jeff walked up to us with a cheery smile. He gave Clay a fist bump before turning to me, "Hey, P."

"Hi." I greeted softly with a happy smile I couldn't stop from appearing on my face. We haven't really talked since we kissed at the game a few days ago. I mean, I couldn't stop thinking about it but he hasn't mentioned how he felt about it.

He reached for my hand making my heart begin to beat faster as Clay squinted, his eyes flickering from me, to Jeff, and back to me. All I did was ignore it, almost forgetting he was there while Jeff spoke,

"Good news, I passed a couple of tests and managed to raise my grade high enough for me to play baseball again." He bit his lip waiting for my reaction.

I smiled widely as I stood up from my seat to give him a hug, "That's great, J. Congrats."

He pulled away from the hug with the same expression as mine, "I couldn't do it without you, so, I would love it if you came to my game." He mumbled sweetly while interlacing our fingers.

"Of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world." I whispered but it was loud enough for him to hear me. Our faces were inches apart by now. I was almost about to lean in but then-

"Hold on." Clay stood up from his seat, catching me off guard a bit. I turned my head over to him and saw he was really confused. His eyebrows were furrowed while he held his fingers up as if saying 'wait a minute'. "When did this happen?"

"I have to go but I'll catch up with you later, okay?" I smiled over at Jeff and he nodded understandingly.

"Yea, okay." He smiled before giving me a kiss on the cheek.

...

"You guys going to the winter formal?" Sheri asked the team as we stretched. I simply listened to the mixed answers of yes's and no's. 

I didn't respond because I didn't really know the answer myself. I mean, what's the point of going to a formal if you have no one to go with?

"How about you, Penny?" Jessica asked with a smile and I gave a half shrug in response.

"I don't know, Jess. I don't have anyone to go with." I answered honestly while stretching my arm across my chest.

I witnessed the girls exchange looks and giggle which only confused me. Did I miss something? "What?" I asked innocently.

"You have Jeff." Sheri chirped and the others agreed in unison.

I raised my eyebrows at them, surprised they all had the idea that me and Jeff would go to formal together. "Look, me and Jeff, it's not like that okay? We couldn't be together even if I wanted us to." I sighed, thinking about Clay.

"That's such a shame." One of the girls spoke up and a few laughed for whatever reason.

"Yeah." I agreed, "I guess so."

...

"Thanks." I smiled politely, accepting the popcorn the lady was selling to everyone on the bleachers. I had come a little early, excited to watch Jeff play the sport he was so passionate about. He had really worked hard in order to play again.