Chapter Two

Down the Rabbit Hole

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The furious Bandersnatch!"

Jace hit the ground with a loud thud! He rubbed his bottom and stumbled to his feet. Jace looked up from where he came from – but he couldn't find the hole. It was quite odd. There was just a hole here which he fell through, and now he didn't know where it was. How was he ever going to get back?

    Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a white rabbit wearing a checkered vest with a pocket watch in hand. "I'm late, I'm late!" the White Rabbit shrieked, bouncing up and down on a small patch of green grass and running away.

    Jace followed the Rabbit. If it weren't for the Rabbit, he thought, I wouldn't even be in this mess. Now I can't get back home, and I have no idea where I am.

    The White Rabbit was running at such a fast pace, he nearly lost Jace, but Jace was very determined to caught up to the furry thing. Eventually, he couldn't keep up with the Rabbit anymore and stopped to caught his breath. Mentally, he reminded himself that he needed to workout more, preferably the moment he got home – which could be months from now.

    Jace looked around him. Everything seemed magnified. The grass was so tall that it towered over him, and the flowers were nearly tripled the size. It surprised him that he hadn't noticed it right when he fell into his weird world, but then again, he was too focused on the White Rabbit to pay attention to anything else.

    He strolled through artificially made paths and took note of everything around him. This new world kept his dazed and amazed at all the wondrous things that he came across.

    Jace was reminded of the tales his mother told him. He recalled all the details that she told him, and he stared at his surroundings, curious as to how she was able to describe this world exactly correct.

    "There's this world," she had said. "It's called Wonderland. It's probably the weirdest place ever, with no logic and all nonsense. Everything was opposite and opposite was not."

    "What do you mean by that, Mommy? 'Everything was opposite and opposite was not'?" he had asked then. He was probably nine years old when she had told him the story. "I don't understand how that's possible. How can everything be opposite and then not opposite?"

    His mother smiled at him. "That's the thing, my love, anything was possible. The grass was as high as the sky and the flowers the size of two – maybe three – men standing on each others shoulders. It is so amazing there."

    "Have you been there before?"

    "If I told you, you'd never believe me."

    He missed his mother. She had the most imaginative mind and could come up with any story that would be more adventurous than the last. He never understood where he got her stories from, but now he knew. There really was a place called Wonderland, and he believed that was where he currently was.

    The sun was radiantly shining down on his skin. He was wearing a white button-up shirt with tan trousers. Jace unbuttoned his shirt and wrapped it around his waist, letting this white undershirt relieve him from the heat.

    There was an abnormally large purple flower with smoke coming from it. He cocked his head to the side, eyeing the blossom, wondering what was happening on that poor plant.