04. Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

"SO, YOU wanted to live after all," he said.

"Well, thank you for not killing me." She glanced at his laptop. "I'm bothering you right now, right?"

"Not really." Theo closed his laptop. "You already have a job, right?"

"Yes, but I am saving up. I need to find a place to move into. I need to pay the rent."

"Where's your mother?"

"She died a long time ago."

"And your father?"

"Good as dead. He's the reason I ran away."

His expression softened as he glanced at the swell on her lip.

"Did he do that to you?"

She smiled blandly. "I hit him back, so I don't really feel that bad now."

"Why didn't you report him?"

"We already did when my mother was still alive. But he never changed. And I just got tired." Gabriela avoided his gaze and stared down at her hand.

"All right." He sighed. "What can you do? What are you capable of?"

"Hmm?" She lifted her head. "I can... I can do some household chores. I can be an errand girl. I currently work as a cashier, I have no problem with modern technology, and I don't stop learning."

Theo smiled. "Okay. That should do it. I'll see what I can do. And while you are still looking for a place to move in, you can stay here."

Gabriela stared. "Y-you're fine with that? I might be invading your privacy."

"You can't live in the streets until you have found a new place to settle in. Besides, I don't stay here every day. You can do me a favor when I'm not around."

Her heart swelled. Who was this man, and why did he appear when she had not realized she needed someone for help?

"T-thank you." She cleared her throat. "I owe you."

GABRIELA had the urge to rush to her new bicycle's side the moment she saw it. It was green with a wire basket in front and a passenger seat at the back. Danny left it outside the door.

She unconsciously brought her hands together. Last night, she was lost and desperate. But now, she felt happy and excited about her newfound hope.

She turned to Theo, who was watching her with amusement.

"This is not a gift. I'm going to pay you back when I find a job," she said.

He shrugged. "You don't have to."

"I insist."

"All right. If you say so."

Gabriela could not help giggling as she touched the seat and the frame.

"Can I do a test drive?"

"Not yet, Miss. Until I make sure you are fully recovered. Lian and Rick are going to check on you tonight. I think Lian can help you land a job."

Her eyes widened as her face lit up. She stared at him. Theo, on the other hand, could not help chuckling.

"How are things easy for you?" she asked. "Are you a genie or something?"

"Do I look like a genie to you?"

"No. You look more like a Prince Charming."

Theo coughed.

"OH. YOU look better than last night. I'm glad you're all right. Does your head still hurt?"

Gabriela flinched as Lian cupped her cheeks. The last time she felt this kind of warm touch was a long time ago. She was already used to her father beating her until last night.

She smiled shyly.

"I-I'm fine, Nurse Lian. Better than last night. Thank you for saving my life."

Lian smiled in relief. She was thirty years old and her doctor husband, Rick, was thirty-three. They were a power couple, not to mention they looked so good together.

"I'm glad to hear that. I made you chicken soup. You'll love it. It works every time."

"Y-you did?" That was something her mother would do if she was still around.

"Hey, ladies. Dinner time," Doctor Rick called from the kitchen.

Lian put an arm over her shoulder as if she was used to doing that to her as they entered the kitchen. The smell of chicken soup filled Gabriela's nostrils. She could not remember the last time she felt at home.

"You know, when I was younger, I wanted to be a librarian because I loved books. But my parents think there's no money in that, so they pushed me to become a nurse," Lian said.

"But you can do that now. You have the money, and you are in control of your life," Gabriela said.

"Yes," Lian agreed with a nod. "But... there are people who need me. People who could barely make ends meet. People who are scared of going to the hospital."

"When she married me, I already knew I would never have a full-time housewife," Rick chimed in. He was sitting across from his wife, looking at her lovingly.

Lian smiled shyly. Gabriela felt jealous for a moment. She wished she had someone who would look at her that way, too. Well, it was not that it was her priority. But having someone in your life was not all that a bad idea.

She glanced at Theo James and caught him watching her. Her heart skipped a beat. Theo casually reverted his gaze to his bowl.

"I-it's... it's nice to see people like you together. It's like you were really made for each other. It's inspiring," Gabriela remarked sincerely.

"Of course," Rick agreed.

"So, where are we?" Lian giggled. "Linda, Rick's nanny ever since he was a toddler, was the one managing my bookshop. I understood that Rick did not want to get rid of her any sooner, so we made an arrangement. Linda is like family, you know. But she, um," Lian slightly winced, "she did not get along with technology well. I think you could help her with that."

Rick and Theo could not help chuckling. Gabriela laughed along.

"Do you think we'll get along well?"

"I think so. Linda is a little stubborn and strict. But make sure you get her a hot coffee." Lian patted her back. "Break a leg, Gab."

"Thank you. You've been very kind to a stranger like me."

"Well, you're a friend now."