Now You're Gone But I'll Be Okay

[Miss Missing You by Fall Out Boy]

A note landed on my desk and I was snapped out of my ongoing daydream. History class was never a subject I was good at, so it was extremely easy for me to get lost in my thoughts during it. I blinked and looked at the piece of paper that had landed on my desk and I turned to look at the person behind me; Jack, my cousin whom was only older than me by a few months. He motioned towards the note and I released a sigh and turned back towards the teacher.

I unfolded the paper quietly. Our teacher, Mrs. Red, normally gets pretty lost in her lectures, but I didn't want to get caught passing notes once again in her class, so I chose to take the quiet route about this.

Did you hear from Ms. Wendy?

I frowned at that. Ms. Wendy was the woman who ran the home I lived in and since I'd known her for a few years now, I felt like she was a growing aunt to me. I scribbled down a 'no' before tossing the note back towards him. Not even fifteen seconds later, the note reappeared onto my desk.

There's a new kid coming to the home.

The last person to be put into the home was Lily, our youngest girl at the home currently, and recently our oldest member had finally been able to leave the home permanently as he had turned eighteen. I was suspecting a new kid would transfer soon, but I didn't think it would be so soon. I then scribbled down a 'so what?' and tossed it back to Jack. He let out a huff at that before tossing the note back.

From what I heard, the kids our age.

I felt my mouth pop open at that. Generally, when kids got to the age sixteen, they got to choose where they wanted to stay. So this had to mean that the kid either didn't want to stay with family or he had no family to stay with.

"Ms. Rose, what is that you're reading?" My teacher's voice interrupted my thoughts and I quickly shuffled with my papers, taking out one of the pamphlets she had handed to us today.

I shot her a glare. "The paper that you gave to us today, Ms. Red," I spoke back, sass dripping from my voice. I felt Jack kick the back of my chair and that only caused me to frown further. He was trying to warn me not to start anything, but I couldn't help myself when it came to Ms. Red. She was my most dreaded teachers.

"Oh, it is, now is it? Would you care to show the class all of your papers?" she asked and I held her stare.

I opened my mouth to speak but the bell rang and I quickly hopped up from my chair. "Sorry, I would love to, but I have to go," I said quickly, stuffing all my papers into my bag. I hustled towards the door and Jack was right on my heals.

"I swear, Sebastian is going to kill you if you get another detention from her," he scolded me and I pouted my bottom lip out at him.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," I said. "I just seriously can't stand her."

Jack shook his head. "Try explaining that to Sebastian and Ms. Wendy."

I frowned again at my cousin. "I don't need you lecturing me, too."

"I'm just trying to save you the trouble," he said, holding his hands up. "Are you coming over today?"

I let out a hum. "I don't think so, Lexus is working tonight. I think I'm going to the music shop since Sebastian's working too."

"Cool, I'm coming with you," he said. "But shouldn't you stop at the home first?"

I shot him a glare.

"I'm sorry!" he said quickly, looking away. "I don't mean to lecture, it just comes out. I've been hanging out too much with Lexus."

"Anyways, why should I stop at the home? The new kid will be there either time I get back," I said now.