«Chapter 1»

Luke
His heartbeat.

It's a sound that I would never get tired of. It lets me know that he's still here, that he's still breathing.

I watched as his face turned red and his heartbeat increased.

"I don't understand why it's such a big deal?" Ashton said angrily.

Michael and Calum exchanged a look but I couldn't keep my eyes off him.

His 18th birthday was in a month, and he wanted to go back to the kingdom. I would give him anything he wanted. Well...that was just the one thing I couldn't give him.

It's not that I didn't want to, I did. I wished things could go back to the way they were. But the truth is, I was scared.

I couldn't lose him again, not ever. So I did something I would regret.

I lied.

"There's no need to, I mean your mum and the boys have it all under control. Everything's fine." I said and smiled, grabbing his hand lightly and pulling him to me.

Calum and Michael glared at me slightly. It was for Ashton.

"But what if I want to see my mum?" Ashton asked and raised an eyebrow.

"Then she'll take a vacation here." I said simply, that made him roll his eyes.

"Why are you so against me going back to the kingdom?" He groaned. I pulled him down on my lap and kissed his cheek lightly.

"Because...because, it's just not the right time." I mentally slapped myself for that answer.

"That doesn't make sense. Besides its been too long, don't you think? I mean Andy is gone and we don't have anything to worry about, so what's the problem?" Ashton smiled smugly, thinking he won. But I wasn't going to give up.

"That's exactly why. I'm-I'm scared okay?" I let out a shaky breath and conjured up fake tears. It was a nasty trick but I was searching for anything that would work. Ashton seemed taken aback. "I can't lose you again."

Ashton sighed and leaned forward in my arms, wrapping his arms around my neck while burying his face in my chest.

"Luke I get it, okay? But you don't have to worry about it anymore."

"Please-" I started but he cut me off.

"2 months. I'll give you a month after my birthday and then I'm going to the kingdom with or without you, got it?" I smiled widely, nodding.

Michael and Calum stayed silent, knowing I had bought us all time, but hating that I had lied to do it.

"I guess it's a good thing my family and the other boys are there to take care of it while I'm gone, huh?" He asked and I tensed.

Lies. When had I started lying to him all the time? I hated the feeling.

It's for his safety though.

"Yeah. Good thing they're there to keep it all under control."

How long could I keep up with these lies?

Because I knew he thought it was time to go back home, but it really wasn't.

Half the kingdom was out for blood, and Ashton was on the list. They thought he left, thought he abandoned them.

The vampires weren't going to go easy on him, especially if they found out he was human.

So I think it was fitting that I lied.

Because I'm doing it all to save him.