20

| twenty |

a l e x a n d r a

Zayn stands before the door, as I wait for him to tell me what's next. We don't have a key and Victor's never exactly been one to leave a spare in a rock under a mat by the door, so I think we're initially both left stumped.

After asking Zayn what we should do, he appears confused. So, after falling impatient, I go around him and pull a bobby pin out of my hair. I kneel in front of the lock just as he questions what I'm doing.

"Picking the lock. What does it look like I'm doing?" I laugh and he glances around us before breathing a sigh of relief, running a hand through his hair and moving to position himself so that he's able to peer into the house through the large back window.

He keeps watch through said window, but I notice that he seems more focused on myself rather than potential problems. "What?" I ask, focused on twisting the small pin within the lock.

He shrugs. "Just surprised s'all. How exactly do you know how to lock pick?"

"It's a skill you develop when you have a mother who constantly forgets her key." I tell him, reminiscing about the times when Mom would accidentally lock herself out and we'd have to get creative, since whenever we phoned Victor for help he wouldn't come for hours. That's why my father began leaving this door unlocked.

That, and he never left a spare key, worried an enemy would search the premises to find it and use it to gain access to the home.

Thinking about that, I worry that Victor might have guards within our house. He wasn't usually one to have bodyguards stacked inside our home, but right now he could be on edge. I mean, he sent me away because he was worried for my safety. So what if he decided to hire extra guards to watch his back while he sleeps?

I doubt it, but it's possible.

The thing that worries me most right now is that I know the moment we enter the house, the alarm will go off. It'll start blaring and I'll have to dash to the panel on the wall so that I'm able to enter the code without disturbance.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but we don't exactly have any other options. We have to go inside, and that alarm will trigger.

I angle the bobby pin a certain way and I think I've got it, but when I turn the handle it doesn't budge and I sigh heavily. Instead of giving up, I try another angle and hope for the best.

"Are you sure you can do this?" Zayn questions, seeming impatient as he peeks through the back window.

"Yes," I bite back. "Now let me concentrate."

I hear him laugh from over my shoulder, deciding to ignore him. But just as he's doubting me, I hear the lock click and I immediately freeze. I look at Zayn and he's staring at me in hurried anticipation for me to open the door.