Chapter 7

chapter 8: Shopping

"So, you're going shopping then huh?" asked Yahya as he lay on my bed throwing a ball in the air.

I rolled my eyes from my mirror as I fixed my hijab.

"Yes, I am. Not that I want to, but aunt Ruqaiya thinks I need a dress for my engagement party on friday," I sighed.

"Don't know why I can't wear something I already own" I muttered under my breath.

Yahya chuckled .

"What's so funny?" I asked as I moved around trying to find my purse.

"Well, I was just thinking how many men would love to hear that statement from the mouth of their future bride or wife," he smiled.

I rolled my eyes.

"You know spending money isn't what every girl thinks of doing with her time" I laughed.

"Right...sure, spending money is all women think about. Let's be honest" he argued.

"Your wrong, we think of other thinks...and everyone like to buy new things," I huffed.

"So your statement is wrong," I added walking over to my bed and flicking his nose.

He swatted at my hand as he gave me a lopsided smile.

"You're just not normal, so you aren't included in that statement," he grinned.

"Your an idiot. I'm a woman so of course I would be included," I replied grabbing a light blue jacket to go over my white blouse and black skirt .

"See... that... I'm not sure about. Are you really a female?" he asked with a critical look.

I chucked a pencil on my table at him as I walked out the door.

"You really are an idiot," I called behind me as I made my way to the kitchen.

I smiled at his childishness. My smile quickly faded. It had been a week since I had talked to the agents. And every day, I kept seeing that dead nasty looking finger right before my eyes. I hadn't gone to school all week I didn't think I could stomach it. So I stayed home and Yahya brought me my work . As I walked into the kitchen I found my dad sitting at the table with a mug of coffee sipping and staring off into space.

"Dad," I said gently

He snapped out of his thoughts and looked at me.

"Oh? Hey kid, you excited to go off shopping with your aunt?" he asked putting on a smile.

I forced a smile as well.

"Yup isn't that just me the most crazed shopaholic you know," I said in my most girly voice.

He laughed, it was strained and weak.

"That darling is something you most definitely are not," he chuckled.

I walked up and patted his shoulder.

"Don't worry so much dad. I'm fine and I have faith that I'll be fine and everything will be ok. In the meantime let's just not worry about something that hasn't happened yet ok?" I asked.

He smiled.

"What would I do without you?" he asked kissing me on the cheek.

I smiled and looked at the door when it rang.

"Oh joy, here we go," I muttered.

He chuckled.

I opened the door to find aunt Ruqaiya standing there with the biggest smile etched on her face.