1

"Arabella Belvoir - first female in the NHL and the number 1 draft pick"

"Calgary Flames choose Belvoir in draft"

"Miss Hockey - the historymaking young lady in the hockey world"

For days all I've been reading are headlines about me. I guess, it isn't all that bad considering for the most part the headlines are positive. Although I have heard some pretty nasty comments too. Both sexual and sexist, sometimes coming from the same person.

It didn't bother me though, the people making those comments were sick and I was now richer than them. Not like money is my main concern but it separates me from them.

--- August ---

@ bells.b33 - crazy to think that this was only 2 months ago... and now I am on my way to Calgary to play for the Flames. #unbelievable

Today is the day, I'm leaving my quaint city to go to the best city in Canada. (In my opinion). Lucky for me it's just a short 2 hour drive north. I was born and raised in Lethbridge, Alberta. Not really the best or busiest city by any means but it kept me bored so it gave me something to focus on... hockey.

Growing up there, the closest NHL team for me was the Calgary Flames and I've always dreamt of playing for them. We would drive up sometimes just for the night to see games and now I get to play for the team I've always idolized.

"Bye sweetheart. Your father and I love you dearly." My mom kissed my forehead once more.

"I love ya kid. Johnny Hockey is gonna love ya for being the shortest on the team. You know, taking his spot." My dad chuckled, he always tried to make himself laugh when he wanted to cry.

I giggled and shook my head as I got into the front seat of my car and drove away from my childhood. Now I was in the real world, starting my career... hard to think that just a few short months ago I was graduating high school with my best friends.

The drive to Calgary was as it always was - boring and uneventful. My playlist was almost too repetitive and I really just wanted to get to my hotel. The summer was ridiculously busy and I couldn't find any time to go to Calgary to even begin apartment hunting.

I knew my way around the city like the back of my hand so I had no issue finding my hotel. I've always dreamt of staying in this hotel, the Fairmont Palliser. And once again here I am living my dream.

--- The Next Day ---

My alarm clock was loud and honestly rude, I had to get up early. I was meeting the team and starting training camp today and I wanted to get an early start.