4

---Home Opener---

This was the day. I woke up and I was instantly a ball of nerves. It was the home opener, the season opener and my NHL debut...
Maybe for some of the other rookies they were having similar feelings that I was today but I needed to impress. The first female in the NHL, the first overall draft pick, Calgary Flames highest draft pick in history... this was not just another day for me. My parents were coming to town today but I convinced them not to see me until the game was over. I needed all my energy, all my focus, all of my everything on tonight's game. I had a lot to lose if I didn't live up to expectations. This could be the future of females in the NHL but if I messed this up then that could be the end of that.
I couldn't help but be freaked out.

OH! And not only all of that, but we were playing our provincial rivals, the Edmonton Oilers, AKA, my least favourite, most hated team EVER.

I rolled out of bed and went into my ensuite to begin my day. I brushed my teeth, combed my hair, and then hopped into the shower. I took a long shower, making sure I was completely shaven, smooth, exfoliated, moisturized AND smelling good. When I got out I dried and straightened my long brunette locks before going downstairs to grab some breakfast. I had no clue where the guys were, possibly still in bed, but I was beyond glad to be here with them permanently. Over the last while I've become very close to all the guys, closer than any female teammates I've ever had. I truly felt like I really belonged here in Calgary with this team, I never wanted to leave.

I popped two pieces of bread in the toaster, got out an avocado and a grapefruit from the fridge and made myself a cup of green tea. I mushed up the avocado and spread it on the toast and then loaded it up with sriracha sauce, put everything on a plate and sat at the breakfast counter. I was scrolling down my instagram feed and reading some comments from fans to try and ease my butterflies but it didn't work, if anything I was just making myself more nervous. I checked my DM's and noticed Auston Matthews was in there for some reason...

auston_matthews - Hey, I just wanted to wish you good luck on tonights game. It can be scary but it will be over before you know it, so enjoy every minute of it. All the best, (except for when we match up this season), Matthews.

bells.b33 - thanks auston, it means a lot coming from you! i really appreciate it. and good luck tonight on your game, tell mitch no fighting. i know he's classic for that ;)

auston_matthews - Haha very funny, I'll let him know. :)

"Now if only Sidney Crosby would slide into the DM's as well, anything coming from a legend like him would mean everything to me." I thought to myself as I finished my breakfast.

The day slowly went on and I heard from some of the guys but we were all doing our own things before the game tonight. The well-wishes would come once we were all together in the locker room. 

I was told that coming into the game I had to have makeup on and my hair done, I had to be dressed up. It was expected, but I wasn't going to keep my makeup on during the game, lucky for me I had lash extensions so that was out of the way. I did a natural glam look since it was quick and easy too achieve and it wasn't anything too wild. The closer it got to game time the more nervous I got.

I had to be at the Saddledome in an hour and I was a wreck of nerves. I knew what I was wearing and I was about to put it on. A simple tight black dress that ended about mid-thigh, black thigh high boots and a long black duster coat. It was classy, simple, fashionable and definitely statement-making. I kept my hair straight and down since it would be getting messed up anyways.

I walked into the kitchen where Sam and Matt were, already ready to go. They both looked great in their suits and they complimented what I was wearing as well.