HE TALKED

to me the next day. he was still shaking and crying, but he was much calmer. he was in a bed upstairs; next to my room. his bed was right next to a window and he just sat there, his head leaning against the pane, crying. he was slightly rocking and he was trying his best to breathe.

i walked into the room, the door making a slight creak, and his head darted over, his face becoming wide-eyed. i put my hands up in defense. his head went back down, his rocking stopped and his body's tensity decreased..

"you better, kid?"

he stood up. it freaked me out; simply because he was wounded beyond belief. his arms and muscle were torn, his body was basically like a roasted marshmallow. if marshmallows were grey, i guess. his skin was this weird tint of white and grey and his eyes were this dark, melancholic brown. they were this strained, veiny red. he, bottom line, looked horrible.

"i guess so." his voice was raspy- probably due to the loud screeching last night- and he was soft spoken. it cracked and it sounded like he smoked an entire pack of cigarettes. it sounded raspier than mine, and that's saying something. 

"i-i'm...i'm sorry about last night..." he walked over to me, looking away from eyes again and looking at his bare feet. his body was in scrubs and he could stand up without help. this kid has some high pain tolerance. 

"dude, doesn't that hurt?"

he looked up, confused. "hurt? why would it? my chest hurts. but that's because i'm heartbroken.."  

i ignored the edgy undertone that gave off, due to the fact this kid isn't in the best state, but i didn't ignore the fact he was implying that what he went through didn't hurt. physically, i mean.

"i'm talking about you're wounds and shit, man."

'oh! those don't bother me, i'm okay!'

i blinked and looked down at him. "you really should rest, kid." 

he looked back at the bed and walked back over to it, laying down. "if you say so, sir." i was so confused by his sudden actions and change of mind, but at this point i honestly could not care less about that. i felt compelled to help him for some reason. 

"be careful kid, this place is tough." and when i said that, he looked directly back at me.

"i see."