Chapter Five- In His Time of Need

Marks POV

     "Please. Say something. Anything. Say you hate me. Say you wish you never met me. Please, Sean..."
     "How am I supposed to respond to that, Mark?"
     "I...I don't know. I don't know how you feel...about me, about us."
      "I feel like you're a huge fucking idiot for not telling me this sooner."
     "Why's that?"
     "Because I love you too. How hard is that for you to see?" Jacks words made me realize all of the small things we do, like those small brushes of our hands against each others when we're walking, the gleam in his eyes when we talk, the way he feels safe when my arms are around him. The joy we both feel when we were near each other.
     These thoughts soon became clouded over with the thoughts of how gruesome the scars on his body were. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of pain he's gone through, yet it seems to dull down when we're together. It all made sense. Why am I such a fucking idiot! It's all my fault that Jack went through this because I'm a clueless bastard!"
     I was mad at myself, but I think jack could see the anger in my face. He took a small step back and began to nervously pick at the waistband of his boxers. I made an effort to regain a softer face and calmly sat down on the edge of the bed. Jack sat down, crossing his legs and facing me. I copied his pose so we could face each other. I gently grabbed his hands to stop him from fiddling.  He quickly relaxed into my touch.
     "I love you more than life itself, and it's my fault you got hurt. I-"
     "Mark, don-"
     "Shh just let me finish this. Please."  Jack nodded and I continued. I just needed to get this out before anything else was said.
     "I promise you I will never let anyone hurt you ever again, even if it kills me. There's nothing I wouldn't do to protect you. You are the most amazing thing in my life, and your inner light is enough to brighten both of our worlds, and I won't allow anyone to dim that. I promise you here and now that as long as we live, I will never stop loving you. And now, my love for you will be enough to drown our demons, or at least keep the away. I will love you, if you'll have me."
     With my thumb I swiped away a tear that had slipped onto Jacks cheek. He leaned forward into my chest, and I pulled us both down so we were laying, my arms around him, his head nestled into my chest, and our legs tangling together. We laid there in silence for hours. I mindlessly stroked his hair and focused on the hot breath on my chest.
     I looked down when I felt Jack move. He was looking up at me, his beautiful blue eyes slightly swollen from crying. That made me smile a bit. Not because he had been crying, but because he wasn't trying to hide it from me anymore.
     "I don't want you to think it's your fault. It's no ones fault but Robins. It's not my fault, and it's sure as hell not yours." Jack finished his sentence by leaning up and pressing his soft lips to mine. The kiss was tender, and drawn out. Once we broke apart, he moved to his original position and started softly tracing the lines of my back muscles with his finger. I kissed the top of his head, and eventually we both fell asleep, warmed up by each others body heat.