Flashbacks

November 9th, 1994, was the day I met Harold.

My parents have just bought a new home in the country a week ago and we have all been adjusting to the new home. We have finished moving all our furniture in, everyone was happy with their own rooms, everyone was settled in. Of course I was only six years old so I was content with my stuffed animals and my horse rocker. I didn't care much about the size of my bedroom and how it looked, just as long as all my toys could fit in the room.

It was getting late and my mother had just put me in bed and read me my favourite bedtime story, everything was normal. As i starting drifting asleep I could faintly hear the floor creak, moving closer and closer to my room. I thought it was just my parents and continued to fall asleep. Untill, i heard a loud crashing noise. I then sat up. The whole time i heard a bunch of crashing noises, like the sounds of glass breaking and lamps falling down onto hard, wooden floors. I had no idea what was going on. 

I saw my mother and father run into my room, they looked horrified. But for some strange reason, they never moved. They just entered my room, and didn't move or say a word. It seemed like everything froze. 

All of a sudden I woke up panting, tears streaming down my face. Untill a boy, around my age came up to me and started wiping away my tears saying things like "It's okay." and "Don't cry, it was just a dream." I was about to ask him how he knows what I've been dreaming about, but he just disapeared. Just like that. 

December 6th, 1999, My best friend, Harold.

Me and Harold have been best friends for around 5 years now. We would play in the forrest, build forts in my room, read books together. Always happy times. Untill today,

After lunchtime, I ran back into my room to find Harold, sitting on my bed, waiting like usual. I asked him if he wanted to play. He just shook his head. I asked him why. He wouldn't answer. I kept asking questions about why he didn't want to play. He just got angry and yelled "Because I'm not alive! I will never be!" I didn't understand I was only eleven years old, I thought he was joking untill I went to hug him and i went right through him. Now i understood. He was a ghost.

December 25th, 2004

It was my sixteenth birthday. And i didn't want to spend it with anyone else but Harold. He has been my best friend since I was 6. Even though only i can see him, and he is a spirit, I have more of a connection with him than any other human being on this planet. He is very twisted, dark, phsychotic, and handsome. I don't even know why I feel asif I relate to him, we are two extremely different beings. I have no idea how old he really is. He refuses to tell me. I will probably never know much about him. All i know is that his name is Harold. 

That night, as I layed in bed, I couldn't stop thinking about him. My mind kept flooding with thoughts about him. And about how much I am in love with him. But at the same time, I know it is impossible for me to love him. First of all, I am only sixteen years old. Second of all, he was a spirit for goodness sake. 

I eventually got myself to stop thinking about all this stuff and finally started to fall asleep. I started having the same dream I had when I first met Harold. I woke myself up before I got to the end of the dream. And there he was. Sitting right next to me asking me if i was alright. I was so confused, why was I getting this dream again? 

Harold read my thoughts and answered me "You dreamt that dream the first time you met me, and now your last. Goodbye Cassandra." 

I was so confused and scared, he can't be leaving me. Not like this. I think I love him. 

"Harold what do you mean? You can't be saying goodbye." I said.

"I'll see you again, now isn't the right time for me to be here." and with those last words he disapeared. Just like that.

I was so confused. Those last words "Now isn't the right time for me to be here." kept echoeing in my mind. I couldn't sleep. What did he mean it isn't the right time? Why did he leave? 

November 9th, 2008.

Here I am, laying here, all alone, on this cold, damp, wooden floor. Waiting for him, to return, like every other day. Harold is suposed to come back. He can't just leave me like this. He is bad for me. I know it. But that won't stop me from waiting, every day, for the time he comes back.

He promised. 

I got up, shook all these thoughts out of my head, and sat up on the same bed I first met him. My mind was blank. I just sat their for a couple minutes untill i heard a deep voice behind me say "Are you alright?" I turned around to see him sitting there. I was so shocked. 

Harold?