1. The Good, The Bad, & The Okay I Guess

For this story, I've chosen quotes from Karen M. McManus's 'One Of Us Is Lying'

"I'm quiet for a few seconds, weighing whether I'm about to make a giant mistake. Probably, but I plow ahead anyway."- Karen M. McManus, One Of Us Is Lying

I'm trying very hard to not see this as a metaphor for my life

I'm trying very hard to not see this as a metaphor for my life. The beautiful and confidant Candy is capturing all the patrons' attention, while I'm serving them drinks behind the grimy bar of Pretty Kitty.

My hair is sticking to my sweaty neck as I furiously scrub at a persistent stain while ignoring the men at the bar trying to pay me for "favors".

Once I feel a hand touch mine I throw the rag down and look at all of them with a glare, "Look," I put my hands on my hips, "You can order drinks, and pay for them. I am simply the deliverer of your vice. You want some action? You guys have a better chance with one of the dancers waving all their assets around, ones you literally pay to get an ass on your lap, rather than a bartender."

I see one of the bouncers, Cal, look at me questioningly. I shake my head at him, silently letting him know that I can handle this. 

"Now, order something or go drool someplace else. Tired of cleaning this damn counter." I pick up the rag and put it in the sink behind to me. A few of them left, but most of the regulars stayed and ordered their usuals.

Frank let out a gravelly laugh, "Damn, girl, you've still got it."

I poured him a few shots, "Still got what? Standards?"

"That spitfire personality that got you this job in the first place, despite being underage." He leaned in for the last part like it was a little secret just between the two of us.

I roll my eyes, "You only have to be eighteen to serve alcohol, Frank."

"But, you ain't eighteen. I saw your school ID pokin' out of your backpack under the counter once." He put his arm across the counter and pointed his finger where my backpack currently sat, next to a case of brandy. I don't really trust anyone enough to leave it unattended in the locker room. "You're a senior at Hill Valley."

"My school ID doesn't have my age."

"Yeah, the ID just confirmed my suspicions. Remember when I was here for closing time a month ago?" He smiled knowingly.

I nod, "I remember." I had worked a double and stayed until 3 am. While we were closing my boyfriend--uh, ex-boyfriend had called me to ask me random questions since he couldn't sleep, and birthdays had come up. That means Frank knows mine isn't for another few months. "So what? You can serve alcohol at sixteen if it's a joint that also serves food."

He laughed again, and this time, Paul (another regular) looks at me, "Kadie, what food are you guys serving?"

I bent down and opened a drawer filled with cheap packets of pretzels and peanuts, in case someone gets the munchies. "Here," I stand up and toss them a few packets. "Bon appetit."