5. I Want To Be A Turtle

"Unless one of us is lying. Which is always a possibility."- Karen M. McManus, One Of Us Is Lying

 McManus, One Of Us Is Lying

Okay. I officially hate this.

The rumors are becoming more and more outrageous. Apparently, not only am I cheating on my sugar daddy with an older, fatter, richer sugar daddy, but they're best friends (gasp!). And I'm pregnant, but I don't know which old raisin is the father. There are already bets going on about the gender. I think girl is winning so far.

Right now though, I'm pretending to not hear the whispers in chemistry class as I copy notes from the board. The science wing always has the heat cranked way too high when it's cold out, so I end up shedding my jacket.

Winters are pretty lame here. Yeah, it gets cold, but not cold enough to ever buy winter clothing. Even during the holiday season, you'll just see people in jeans and t-shirts with a hoodie. Maybe a sweater here and there. Although, there are always those boys who insist on wearing cargo shorts no matter how cold it gets.

I read an article that apparently since they have more testosterone, it raises their body temperatures. So I guess if I think I might be warm, I'd choose to uncover my legs, too.

"Miss Duncan?" The teacher brings me out of my thoughts.

Mr. Heralds gestures to the board. I look up at the equation, then down to my notes. Luckily, we're still going over homework.

"13.76 liters," I say. Out of boredom, I lay my chin on my hand and stare at the giant periodic table of elements sitting in the corner of the classroom.

Not only was attention brought to me, but I was caught daydreaming. Soon enough, there will be talk that I've found out I'm having twins (That'll start a whole new gambling pool, eh?) I spot a boy across the room trying to peek at my stomach. I'm not wearing a baggy shirt, but it's not exactly skin-tight either. It's anybody's guess if I'm showing or just had a big breakfast.

When I'm sitting at our usual lunch table, Rafe is bickering with Selena. Selena's smart, but Rafe is confident no matter how little he knows about most topics, "Tortoises are just land turtles, they are bigger because the sun makes things grow faster."

Selena massages her temples, "Rafe, for the last time, turtles are aquatic, tortoises are a separate animal that lives on land and can't even swim."

"What about terrapins?" Eddie asks.

"Okay," Selena waves her hands, "If turtles are on one end for how much time they spend in the water, tortoises are on the opposite, and terrapins are in the middle."

I smile at them and look over to Louisa to remind her just how lame our friends are, but I'm surprised to see Trip walking up to us. And I'm not the only one who notices.