Stone Angels - "Ghost Girl"

And then, those two angels had nothing to live for. Yet still, they didn't give up.

I had always told myself that whatever happened, the sun would still rise. However many bruises I wore, eventually they would fade. No amount of tears could end the world. But with that belief, comes a dark side. As, I suppose, with everything. Every thought, every religion, has a dark side. My dark side destroyed me some more every time I remembered it. Nothing could ever change the world. No amount of charity could stop poverty. No peace talk could end a war. Life is as life is, and we have to bend and adapt around it. The world won't change for us, we have to change for the world. But we don't like change, we run away from it. And if we are faced head on with it, we contradict it. We try and stop it. When maybe, we should embrace it.

Like I embraced Dad. He appeared in my life, and I was so desperate for happiness, I was willing to try anything. I didn't once question him. He saved me. But now, life would go back to before. Without Dad. All alone. Just Bonny and I against the world. Well, against our world. And we would fight so hard. If only I knew back then that Earth was never meant for angels.

The sun rose, just as it had done everyday. I opened my curtains and noticed it was snowing. Snow had a way of calming me down. As I walked to school in nothing more than a pinafore and a cardigan, the cold numbed my hands, but also my heart. It was so strange. I felt nothing, and as I watched the snowflakes dance around me I almost felt happy. I wanted to stay in the snow all day, but I remembered what had happened last time. At least school was better than home.

Slightly better. Not all my bruises came from home. Kids are cruel. They have no mercy. If you cry, they hit you harder. So normally I would hide at lunchtime. My lunch would have been stolen by then anyway so I wouldn't eat. But today, I was feeling strong. I think it was the snow. A boy, a lot older and a lot bigger than me, ran over to me. He started the usual abuse I got, calling me homeless from the holes in my dress and my worn shoes, and flicked my shivering arm, asking "can you not even afford a jacket?" A few of his friends came over to join him, poking and prodding me. Normally, I would have started crying, but today, I just stood there, looking straight through them into the eyes of the swirling snowy wind, as the snowflakes delicately landed on the ground and melted. "HEY GHOST GIRL," someone shouted into my ear, which made me jump. The boys fell into hysterics, but instead of getting upset, I simply said "good morning," and glided into the school building without looking back.

School improved after that. The boys started calling me ghost girl, but instead of hitting me they played a game where they ignored me completely as I was a "ghost." I didn't mind though as it meant they left me alone. And I suppose they got their wish in the end.