Stone Angels - Snow Day

Everyday I would wake up to the snow falling, an my walk to school would be blissful. Heavenly even. But the bliss would be cut short by the loud ear piercing screams of the other children. I was so different to them. I felt like an alien. I was treated like one too. Ignored by most, avoided by some, I was the outcast. The one who sat alone all the time, never speaking. I was that girl. We watched "Matilda" in class once, and I wished so hard for my own Miss Honey. I thought Dad could be, especially when I saw his house, but that dream was shattered, as all my dreams are, by mum. She was killing me, slowly but surely, and I was almost dead.

Another week passed, another scar healed, replaced by more, a blanket of snow had fallen and I was still alive. I woke up on a Monday, put on my uniform and went downstairs. Mum was already down, and she shushed me in order to hear a small radio which was rusty and the sound it was generating was so crackly it was hardly audible. I left the room before mum could find something to get angry about. I didn't really want any breakfast, so I put on my shoes - one had acquired a hole in the sole - and started to make my way to school, through the silent snow fall and numbing cold.

Outside my school there was a huge low-branched oak tree, which I sometimes enjoyed climbing where nobody could see me and surveying the other children. Today, it looked especially pretty, as the snow had settled along the branches.

I was surprised I was calm enough to acknowledge the sparkling frosty tree, and then I realised it was because there was no screaming coming from the playground. I peered over the gate, looking for signs of life, but saw no-one. Was school cancelled? "Angel?" It was Bonny. I turned around and saw her walking down the pathway, taking pleasure in how our footprints intertwined. "School's cancelled, did mum not tell you?" She asked, giving me her jumper when she noticed me shivering. "Why would she? She was more interested in her radio show to care," I replied, hurt that I meant that little to her. "Come on, lets go home," Bonny said, but I stopped. "Or, we could go adventuring!" I exclaimed, excitement rushing into my voice. And so we did. Bonny took my hand and we began running, with no intention of ever going back.

But we didn't get very far before we saw him. Or rather, he saw us.