Joie de Vivre: Catalina's story

Written By: tenshi_serenity
Written For: beebraver
TS Clichè: Catalina's Meet Cute

------------------------------------------------------

Drip. Drop.
La La La.

Drip.
.
.
.
.
Drop.

Loud music always gives her this certain high as she drowns herself from the world and hears nothing but her heartbeat and the song. Her heart swells with immeasurable happiness as she settles in her favorite place: a cafe at the rooftop of a building; where she could be privately free even for a while.

Drip.
.
.
.
.
Drop.

Catalina looks at the gloomy sky and smiles amidst the brewing storm. In this place, she finds peace; something real life would not give her. In this place, she finds solace; a moment that's only hers.

Droplets of rain don the afternoon sky fogging the sunset which everyone enjoys. Sunsets are overrated, she muses. I look at the sky and just see a swirl of red and pink. What's so special about that? It makes me want to throw up....and wish for the night. She rests her head on her chin and smirks at the rain. That's more like it, kaya gusto ko yung ulan eh....unpredictable, moody and, her face falls, free

She closes her eyes as her thoughts go back to the conversation she had with her mother earlier that day

"Bakit nanaman nagiisa ka diyan, Catalina? Why don't you go out? Make friends......or just see the world. You should enjoy life." her mom says seeing her daughter huddled up in a corner like always, headphones in, as she bangs her head to the music. "Catalina.....Catalina!" her mother continues to call her but she blatantly ignores her.

"MASDAN MO AKING MATA, DI MO BA NAKIKITAAAAA. AKO NGAYON LUMILIPAD AT NASA LANGIT NAAAAAA...." she continues to sing at the top of her lungs.

Her mom could only shake her head, pulling out her headphones as Catalina could only stare back at her. "Ma, naman. I was enjoying myself." she slumps into her chair and groans.

"Anak, try to get out more. Live life....enjoy college."

Catalina looks at her mom and sighs "But, I will never be Papa's favorite. Si Kuya Gabriel lang naman mahal niya eh. I was never in his radar." she holds her mom's hand "Ma, sometimes I think na maybe, di ako anak ni Papa; maybe that's why he doesn't love me."

Helen hugs her daughter "Don't you ever think that. Mahal ka ng Papa mo. He just...has a complicated way to make you feel loved." her mom looks at her and adds "And you ARE his daughter. Do NOT think otherwise"

Catalina continues to stare at the rain and turns the volume up even more. There's something about rain and loud music which makes her heart full; a glimpse of happiness she so longed to feel, drowning her entire world to just....enjoy this moment: just her and the song.

Just her.
Only her.
No mother who obviously pities her.
No father to beg for scraps of love she's supposed to have.
No brother to catch up to.
Just the song.
And her.

Catalina turns the music up as she smirks, stands up, and whirls at the music while singing at the top of her lungs: "IBA NA NAG IYONG NGITI...IBA NA ANG IYONG TINGIN...NAGBAGO NA ANG LAHAT SA'YOOOOOO....." she smiles at the cashier who could only shake her head at this loyal customer, laughing as Catalina exits the coffee shop.