2

You hid your bike in some bushes before walking in. Your cat, and best friend, Checkers was the first one to greet you by rubbing her body against your leg. You chuckled as you knelt down and guided your hand against her black and white fur. Checkers immediately purred softly.

That's when you heard a bottle drop. You growled before you picked up Checkers. You looked over and saw your mom, brother and his friends, uncles, and aunts all drinking beer or wine and talking shit about politics. You went up to your room and closed your door.

"Not today." Checkers titled her head as you emptied your bag and starting holding clothes. "I'm not doing this today Checkers." Checkers nodded as her tail swayed. You put everything necessary before Checkers hopped onto your shoulder. You smiled as she wrapped herself around like a set of headphones. Very fuzzy ones.

You opened your window and used a hanger to get a ladder over. Thank you window repair men and their laziness. You and Checkers used the ladder to get down before heading to Slender Woods. Checkers laid her head down as you walked along the trail.

You both noticed the sun going down.

Checkers's tail was curled around your neck gently as you scratched her head. You looked at your smart watch and saw it already past four. You shrugged a little before you kept walking deeper and deeper. You didn't see the paper pinned to the trees as you walked.

Checkers soon started to growl and yawl a little as you tried to calm her down. You had to admit, you were kinda getting scared. You've heard of Slender Woods and why nobody comes back. You started to sing Soldiers softly to you and Checkers before you saw red.

You stopped singing as Checkers really started to growl. You slowly walked over and saw a hand. You, despite your better judgement and Checkers growling, poked the hand to see it motionless. You were now scared.

Why was this hand not moving?

You went to grab the hand and pull it out when...

You pulled out an arm.

You jumped back as Checkers's fur started to stick up. You wiped your hand against your jeans as you calmed your breathing. "H..h..help..." You turned and saw a man limping towards you. You and Checkers, who hopped off your shoulders, rushed to him.

"Sir! Are you ok?" You asked as Checkers stood next to you. The man suddenly grabbed your shoulders and started to shake you.

"TURN AROUND! DON'T GO FURTHER!"

You screamed before hearing Checkers... meowing? You suddenly found yourself on the ground in the part of the woods where you found the arm. You looked around as Checkers tilted her head. "That... was weird..." You mumbled before looking ahead.

You wanted to go further to avoid the family reunion but...

You had a feeling you didn't have a choice.