Chapter 5

5

After a week, I finally caught Candace in action with her diabolical plans. When my work had ended, I saw Mr. Lee and Candace holding hands as they were walking together.  I followed both of them and tried to eavesdrop on their conversation. I got ready to take a picture with my phone.

“Mr. Lee, Rena has been ditching school.  She’s not missing. She has been living with Sebastian all along.” Candace said as she showed Mr. Lee the picture.

“Please, call me Harvey,” he said while leaning over her shoulder to look at the picture.

Mr. Lee was shocked by the picture and said “We have to do something about this. Her mom is worried about her. What is this girl doing with her life?”

“She should be punished.”  Candace tugged at Mr. Lee’s polo shirt in earnest.

“Cand---” Candace put her fingers on Mr. Lee’s lips and pulled him in for a deep kiss. I popped by head around the corner and took a picture of them kissing.

Mr. Lee’s phone started to ring. He lightly pushed Candace back to stop the kiss and received the call.

“Candace, I’m sorry. I have to go now. I have to prepare food for my mother.” Mr. Lee said as he started to run.

“It’s okay Mr. Lee, I mean Harvey, Have fun!” Candace said as she waved at him.

When Mr. Lee left, Candace took her phone out of her pocket and called someone. I started recording what she was doing.

“Hello George, Rena is still not out of my way. That b**tch! I already set her up by making her look like she cheated, but she’s not yet out of in my life or punished for what she did. I don’t think that I’ll be able to use Mr. Lee for very long.  Please get rid of her,” she said to “George” whoever he is.

After recording the video and taking a few choice photos, I immediately went home, wanting to tell Rena the evidence I gathered. I felt like a private investigator ready to expose the bad guys.

“Rena! Rena! I have good news.” I approached her with a happy face. I was so excited to see her.

“What is it?” Rena replied. She was curious.

“You can go back to school now, I said.

“Does everyone forgive me?” She asked.

“No, not because of that. We have evidences that you didn’t cheat.” I took out my phone.

I showed her both the picture and the video. She was surprised by the fact that Mr. Lee and Candace had a relationship and became mad when she heard that Candace wanted to get rid of her.  

“What did I ever do to her?” She cried out loud.

I hugged her and said “Don’t worry. It’ll be over soon.” I wiped her tears, causing her to smile. I loved her smile. Every time she smiled, I would smile as well. I think that this was the first time when I realized that I was falling in love with her. I tried to deny it.  I was scared I was going to be rejected. To be honest, I actually wanted her to just stay at our home and not go school. I was afraid that she might not talk to me when she went back to school again.

“So do you have the numbers of our classmates and our principal?” I asked her.

“Yes. I do.”  she said, but her mind wandered off.

“Great, but what’s the problem?” I asked.

“But what about Candace? What will happen to her and Mr. Lee? Won’t this ruin their lives forever?”