Chapter 3

3

It was a Sunday around 2 o’clock; I took the bus and started looking for a job.  I went to different stores and asked if I could apply for a job, but none of them needed any more employees or the manager wasn't available. I suddenly thought of returning home, but I decided  that there would be no giving up now. Luckily, I found a job before the day ended.  It took me five hours just to find a low-paying job. I felt like I went to a dozen places. Some people complain of looking for work for weeks and not finding any.  That would drive me crazy.  My new place of employment was a small, dark, out of the way cafe, called Pete’s, which was a one hour drive outside of town. I had only heard of it once and I had never visited it until that day.  When I applied for the job, the manager said that I would be a good waiter since I had the good enough looks to attract a lot of young ladies who liked to drop-in. I got the job on the spot.  So, I guess I should thank my parents’ DNA donation as small a favor as it was.

“You want to start tomorrow at 5pm?” the manager asked me as he stood up to look at me and shake my hand.

“Yes, please. Thank you so much for hiring me, sir.” I said and bowed to him with a smile on my lips.

Surprisingly, when I was about to leave  the café, I saw Mr. Lee and Candace entering the place. I quickly hid from them at that moment by pulling my hoodie over my head, sitting down and ordering a cup of coffee. I also put on my sunglasses, so that they wouldn’t recognize me.

“Mr. Lee, I missed you.” Candace said and kissed Mr. Lee’s cheeks. My eyes widened when she kissed him. They both took a seat. Their table was beside mine  so I got really lucky with that. I could hear everything what they were talking about.

Mr. Lee smiled at her and said “Don’t worry. We’re going to see each other again tomorrow.”

Candace held his hand and looked at him straight in the eyes.  “Mr. Lee, you’d do anything for me, right?” she asked with those puppy eyes that she was quite popular for.

“Of course.”  Mr. Lee gushed as he answered almost too quickly.

“Well it’s because….” Candace covered her face and started to cry. Her cry didn’t seem believable to me, but it shocked Mr. Lee. My eyebrows furrowed as I took a sip from the cup that jI just realized my waiter had brought already.

“What’s the matter?” Mr. Lee was worried and tried to wipe her tears with his handkerchief, but she just continued to cry.

“Rena told me that she was planning to cheat on the exam in order to be the top student,” she blubbered.

I was shocked and so was Mr. Lee. I accidentally spit out the coffee  I was drinking, but thankfully, they didn’t notice.

“Wha.. What?  Why would Rena do that?” Mr. Lee said with dismay in his face as it turned red with indignation.

“Mr. Lee, you’re the only one I know who will listen to me.” she sobbed and looked at him again with those alluring eyes.

Mr. Lee held her hands. “Did she tell you how she was going to cheat?”

“Yes, she told me that she had put notecards taped under her desk and that she plans to look at them secretly to get the answers during the test. Oh Mr. Lee, please don’t tell her that I was the one who said this to you,” she begged as if it would cost her her life. I rolled my eyes as I wiped the coffee spray off of my jacket.

“Alright.  Don’t worry. During the day of the test, I will be keeping an eye on her. “ He held her hands tighter with a soft smile.

“Thank you so much Mr. Lee.” She wiped her tears and smiled a little.