Chapter 3

I hear a loud thud from the room next door. I rush in to see Link on the floor and Aryll on the bed. She looks at me innocently. "How many times have I told you not to wake me up like that," Link says still sleepy. Aryll just ignores him and shrugs it off. Link mumbles something about wanting to go back to bed as he tries to fix his hair and failing miserably. I go down the stairs, skates in hand, joined by the two siblings."Bye Mom we'll be back soon," we wave goodbye and walk over to the ice rink. Lulu was standing outside the building. She waves at us and we rush over to her. "Aww is this little Aryll." she says gushing over Aryll. "I'm not little I'm six," she responds holding up six fingers. Lulu smiles at the adorable six year old. We walk in and lace up our skates, except Lulu because she prefers to watch. After about an hour of practice I decide to take a break. I walk up next to Lulu as she stares at the two siblings skating. "Have they gone to see her yet?" she asks still watching the duo. I hesitate to answer,"No they haven't gone yet." Lulu frowns a bit at my response. "It must be hard to see their mother in that condition." she didn't have to say anything else. I already knew how she felt just by hearing her speak, sadness laced into every word she spoke. I nod glumly not knowing what to say. About five years ago Link and Aryll's  mother was diagnosed with cancer. Sadness doesn't even begin to describe what we felt, but no one was hurt more than Link. She was to sick to take care of Aryll and Link and her husband wasn't in the picture anymore, so my family decided to raise them. She agreed to this already knowing they would be well taken care of since we had known them since Link was five years old. He was only twelve when he moved in with us along with his one year old  little sister. I'm an only child so I didn't mind having them live with us. For almost a week Link stayed locked in his room not wanting to speak with anyone. We couldn't blame him for that. How are you supposed to react as a twelve year old knowing that your mother might die. Knowing that the only family you've ever known might disappear forever. So we became their family. They would go visit her in the hospital every month to check up on her. My parents pay for most of the medical bills, knowing she can't work to pay them off. Link hadn't gone to see his mother since we left for the competition a month ago and he didn't seem to eager to go see her. "Hey you okay?" Lulu asks. "Yeah I'm okay. I was just thinking about her." I say trying to think of anything else, but her. "I'll go make us some hot chocolate. That should cheer you up." she says walking to the kitchen. A couple minutes later she walks out with a tray of hot chocolate and bread."Who wants hot chocolate?" Aryll's the first one to get some and she's also the first to finish. Children and their sweets... oh who am I kidding I still act like a child. After we finished I helped Lulu wash the cups. While Aryll and Link take their skates off and put their coats on. We say goodbye to Lulu and head home. As we walk home I wonder when we should go visit their mother. I'll ask him tomorrow I decide as we continue our walk home.