Chapter 5

Song up above Exhibit A (Transformations) by Jay Electronica

"Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forwards." - Søren Kierkegaard

Back in the Dean's office, Danyelle and Dean Michaelson continue their conversation about her future in the school. Danyelle notices a small tattoo of a half eclipsed sun on the Dean's right hand, but she thinks it's nothing important.

"I have noticed that you have fought in many tournaments, winning multiple gold medals in all areas of combat and athletics," Michaelson says, impressed by Danyelle's resume of accomplishments.

"Thanks for the compliment and all, but it's clear that you did not choose me just for my trophy case. Why did you really pick me?" Danyelle asks; curiosity sprouting out of her voice.

"I told you, I had a feeling about you. That tattoo on your hand piqued my interest in your heritage." Danyelle cocks her head slightly to the left, caught off guard by the words uttered by Cole.

"So you know about the Jade Dragon Society?" Danyelle questions Cole who leans forward towards her.

"Know about it... I was once apart of it. I can read their operations like a book to you." Danyelle looks at the book near Cole's hand and she sees a dragon insignia on the spine.

"The Jade Dragon society has been protecting the world since after the death of the first emperor of China. This secret society was conceived of Shaolin Monks, Samurai, Ninjas and pure fighters. They were the last defense against evil." as Danyelle listens to Cole, she feels her tattoo glow green.

"What the hell? Why is my hand glowing?" she asks with her voice filled with curiosity.

"Your hand glows because you seek the truth about your heritage, the real reason why you were chosen to be apart of this school." Cole then opens the book and he pulls out an insignia that is shaped like a dragon's head.

"Does this look familiar to you?" Cole asks Danyelle, handing her the insignia. Danyelle looks at it longingly, noticing a message in Mandarin inscribed on the scales.

"The heart of the warrior lies within the soul of the child of a dragon." Danyelle then looks at both Asia and Cole, shocked upon the revelation that was brought upon her.

"I am... I am the dragon's child?" Danyelle then stands up, holding her hands over her head in shock.

"Danyelle, I know this is a lot to take in, but we are telling you the truth. You are the one that we have been searching for." Danyelle looks out the window, watching the other students converse with other.

"I always knew I wasn't normal, ever since I was a kid I felt different. I was stronger than all my peers, faster, smarter... and it all points to this mark on my hand." Danyelle then walks over towards Asia.

"Ask me this, who killed my parents? Why would someone want them dead?" she asks.

"They weren't the target... You were. They risked your life to protect you." Asia reveals to her.

"Protect me from what?" Danyelle wonders.

"Have you ever heard of the Hidden Lotus Ninja Clan?" Danyelle's face then forms a puzzled expression.

"I've heard that name somewhere before, I always thought they were an urban legend." Asia then goes over to a shelf near the door and she pulls out a purple scroll. Asia then opens the scroll and it shows Danyelle the entire history of this nefarious clan.

"Jesus H Christ... and here I thought these were just a bunch of silly old people, telling crazy stories to scare the hippies," Danyelle says.

"The Hidden Lotus Clan existed ever since the age of the first Shogun. They had no honor, no regard for innocent lives. They lived for chaos, hungered for blood, and they've thirsted for death." as Danyelle reads the scroll, she looks at a picture of a dragon eating a lotus whole.