Khawla b. al-Azwar

assalamualaikum guys I am back with more amzing stories. this story is a great example for reaching your dreams, and never given up.

Khawla bint al-Azwar (Arabic خولة بنت الأزور) was a prominent woman during the life of the Islamic prophet

Khawla bint al-Azwar (Arabic خولة بنت الأزور) was a prominent woman during the life of the Islamic prophet . Khawlah was a Muslim Arab warrior, sister of , the legendary Muslim soldier and commander of the during the . Born sometime in the seventh century, Khawlah was well known for her leadership in battles of the conquests in parts of what are today, and . She fought side by side with her brother Dhirrar in many battles, including a decisive in 636 against the . On the 4th day of the battle she led a group of women against the Byzantine army and was wounded during her fight with a Greek soldier.  

 In today's time, Muslims women are depicted as oppressed by the men in their community. It is also wrongly portrayed that women in Islam have little or no rights or liberty.

Little do they know about the story of Khawlah bint al-Azwar, who is the perfect reply to those people who think that being a Muslim woman is just equal to being oppressed. Khawlah bint al-Azwar was a warrior, a nurse, a companion of our Holy Prophet Muhammad PBUH, a noble daughter, and a sister.

Women's fighting and military academies have been named after her, and religious leaders have used her story as an example of women's empowerment in Islam her name is  Khawla Bint Al Azwar.

Khawlawas an extraordinary woman from the early years of Islam. Most of what history tells us about her childhood and environment is quite vague, but provides rich information about her courage that had most likely played a role in strengthening the new religion. Khawlah bint Al-Azwar, was born in the seventh century in the area that today is comprised of Syria, Jordan and Lebanon

Khawla became a legend during her life and remains a legend to this day. She was a courageous leader, and set an example to men and women alike that one should fight for what they believe in, and never accept defeat. She stayed true to her principles and feared nothing but Allah.

The recorded history of that era mentions repeatedly the feats of Khawla in battles that took place in Syria, Jordan and Palestine. In one instance, she fought in disguise to rescue her brother Derar after the Romans captured him. Witnesses say that she was in fact much braver than many men. In addition to that, and whenever she did not carry her sword, she took the responsibility of organizing medical corp  to treat the wounded during the battles. This is 13 centuries before Florence Nightingale did the same in Europe.

Khawla was the daughter of one of the chiefs of Bani Assad tribe, and her family embraced Islam in its first days. Her father's name is either Malik or Tareq Bin Awse. Al Azwar was his nickname. Her brother, Dhiraar, was the knight and poet of his tribe, and was well known as well for his wisdom. His love for his sister and confidence in her capabilities were legendary. In fact, the brother and sister were so attached to each other that she was his companion wherever he went. He trained her in all arts of swordsmanship and she also became a knight. Besides that, Khawla was a poet who mastered that noble art. She was a brunette, tall, slim and of great beauty.