Chapter 11

Faye

With her back at me, Gabrielle stood facing the huge glass window of Amanda's office that presented the scenery of Los Angeles: a concrete jungle under a sunny side-up sky. She wore a red dress that fitted her body perfectly, flaunting her curves. Her arms were folded across her chest so they were hidden from view; her black hair running down her back in waves.

"Excuse me, Miss Gabrielle," I said and she didn't turn to see me, but only tilted her head to the right and fixated her eyes on her shoulder. "Amanda sent me here to check on you. She said she'll be back with your clothes and everything you need for your fitting," I informed.

I was rather expecting for a reply but got none. She only craned her head back to the glass window and remained utterly silent as she stared at what was laid before her. Her behavior was not that all surprising to me, considering that she was a famous actress and model—I had been told. And it is typical of famous people like her to be rude and a snob sometimes, isn't it?

"Do you perhaps need anything?" I asked.

The set of her shoulders rose and fell as she took a breath in and exhaled. "Do you know the feeling of losing something you treasure a lot?" a question out of the blue she suddenly threw me. It made me think of the things I've known and loved so dearly: Dancing. London. My mother's humming when she used to tuck me in at night. My father lifting me up and spinning me around when I was little. My sister's sleepovers in my room when we were young and scared to sleep alone. Kyle's proud smile when he watches me in our ballet plays. I do. I do know the feeling of losing something—of losing everything that meant so much to me, I kept the words in my head. They stung.

When I didn't answer, she said, "It's like looking at this beautiful city view, isn't it? Then all of a sudden, seeing it be set on fire. Crashed and burned and left to ruins."

My face fell and I felt a hollowness in my stomach as I recalled of home. "I do," at last, I said. "I know how it feels."

"Then why?" she raised her voice all of a sudden, as she finally whirled around—almost dramatically—to meet my eyes. I was taken aback by the sudden rage that sparkled hers. Her hands were at her sides now, clenched into a fist. "Where did you get the guts to ruin something that used to mean the world to me?" she cried, hurt screeching her voice.

Ice seemed to grow inside my chest, spreading coldness all over. Her words were enough to tell me that it was him—no one else but him—she was talking about.

Bruno

The image of his silhouette against a dark violet sky, sitting at the balcony flashed in my mind. His face when he looked at me I remembered clearly, etched with pain and hatred. He had been right about what he said, that being accused of something you did not do felt so wrong. Why hadn't I hugged him or maybe just gave him a pat? A glass of milkshake was indeed the last thing he needed. If I'd drink one right now, it would only satisfy my appetite but not my emotions.

But I did let him cry... on my shoulder. Was that enough?

"Why do I have to see you again now that I'm okay?" she shouted letting her voice bounce off on every corner of the room.

I became still.

"What is going on in here?" a voice came in. I looked behind and found Kevin—the first guy I encountered when I first entered this office—standing on the doorway, one hand yanking one of the double doors open. After scanning the room, his eyes lingered on us.

I could not speak. What would I say? That I and Gabrielle were fighting over a man? That's too unpleasant to hear.

Suddenly, Kevin's mouth flew open, his hand loosening from its grip on the door handle. "Miss Gabrielle?" he called out in a tone colored with worry.