Chapter 9: Spring Break

Chapter 9

We all walked upstairs and out of the bar, the bus was waiting for us.

“So Professor Reboredo, when do want to give me my certificate for winning the Grand Qualifier.” Nathan asked excitedly.

Professor Reboredo frowned. “Well Nathan, you failed to stay with the group and you didn’t escape capture.”

Nathan had nothing to say to Professor Reboredo’s last remark. Everyone was happily chatting about the last challenge. Except for Nathan, he sat furious in the back of the bus by himself. We back to the Institute and the rest of the participants were sitting gloomily in the auditorium. We took a seat as Professor Reboredo walked up to the podium.

“The Institute of Portugal would like to thank all of our guests from the past few days. Let us all congratulate our winners of the Grand Qualifier. If the following could please come up to receive their certificate. Carter Hayes, Taylor Hemmingway, Melissa Johnson, Addison Phillips, Ashley Richards, and Blake Woodson.” Professor Reboredo said cheerfully into the microphone.

There wasn’t much applause. It seemed like only the teachers were clapping. We all smiled and stayed for a few pictures. After everyone filed out of the auditorium Professor Reboredo led us to his office, along with Professor Humphrey.

Professor Reboredo’s office was in the shape of an octagon. Each wall had bookshelves from the floor to the ceiling. Except in the back there was a large window looking out at the ocean.

“I have talked to other various Professors and we all want you six to train together for the next two weeks at Shergold. After Spring Break, you will no longer have any classes except for private classes with Professors, but you will train specifically for the mission. Addie, Taylor, and Melissa, you will move to a quad and Ashley will room with you. Carter, you and Dan will move into a triple. Blake will stay with you also. As for my Shergold students, tomorrow you will fly back to Shergold Academy and you parents will be there to take you home for break before you start training for your mission.” Professor Humphrey explained.

We walked to our room joyously while we relaxed and eventually went to bed. The next morning, it didn’t take us too long to pack up our belongings. We all boarded the jet and were soon ready for takeoff. We got back after about another ten hours and a stop for lunch. I was starting to get excited to work with Blake and Ashley. They both seemed very nice. On the plane Professor Humphrey explained that after we come back from break, Blake and Ashley will come to Shergold and train with us.

The flight seemed short because we slept most of the way, which was pretty much the activities we did on our way here.

We got to Shergold at around 9:00. We were so tired we decided to go bed right away. In the morning, we woke up to the sound of Addie bustling around, hurridly packing up her clothes.

“Good morning!” Addie said cheerfully.

“Good morning.” Melissa said groggily as she rolled out of bed and started to pack up her things.

“I better start packing. After all, we are leaving after breakfast.” I said.

“Where are you guys going for spring break?” Melissa asked.

“Back home to New York. Where are you going?”

“I am going to my dad’s vacation home in Australia. It should be fun.” Melissa told me excitedly.

“I’m going home to London. I really miss my family and I am so excited to see them.” Addie told us.

“I am glad that I can relax after that stressful Qualifier.” I said.