Chapter Thirteen

Beca had snuck back into the house after she'd calmed down and eaten the brownies Chloe has sent with her. That was a healthy dinner, she supposed. It had helped with her bad mood, her nerves, and she was laying on her bed, staring at the ceiling.

She wondered when she'd have to pay the phone bill, considering that the person who'd been paying it probably wasn't anymore. She wondered how she was going to get the money to do that. Her phone buzzed, tickling her stomach, and she swallowed harshly. Ashley- a girl Beca had been friends with before she'd moved had messaged her.

Is it true your parents kicked you out for being gay?

I don't see how thats any of your business.

I'm your friend, Beca. Or at least I used to be. You know, your parents have been trying to cover up the fact that they kicked you out by saying you're visiting family.

I don't care. What are you trying to do?

You should come home, Bec. The cops have been looking for you and I know you don't want to deal with them.

I dont care about  the cops? I don't give a fuck if they're looking for me, because chances are, they won't find me.

Beca shut her phone off then, her anxiety flooding her again. The truth was, she did care, she cared if someone found her because she didn't know what was going to happen after that.

But she did know she needed to talk to Chloe before someone found out where she was. She needed to tell her that she wasn't who people thought she was. That she was homeless and being searched for, for no reason, she hadn't been a big deal- her parents had made her one. And Beca knew that they were probably loving all the attention.

__________________________________________

"Are you okay?" Jesse asked on Monday morning. They were sitting in homeroom and Beca had barely said a word all morning, which wasn't like her.

"I'm fine, quit asking me the same damn question every five minutes," Beca grumbled, glaring at Jesse and picking at a string on her ripped skinny jeans. She was on edge and her stomach was twisting because she was planning on talking to Chloe after school.

Jesse left her alone after that and she usually would have apologized but she couldn't find it in her to care. She was more paranoid then usual and with that came less sleep. She'd been on edge since Saturday night, and her body ached because it was so tense. She popped her neck, wincing slightly, as she tried to ease some of the tension. She knew Jesse wouldn't understand and that Chloe probably wouldn't either, but Beca figured telling the redhead what was going on would make things easier if she vanished randomly.

_______

Beca was sitting in Chloe's car. She'd been there for the last thirty minutes because she apparently couldn't speak. Chloe's hand was holding hers in her lap, thumb brushing across her knuckles in soft, reassuring circles. It made Beca more nervous, if she was being honest.

"I'm guessing that this is a really serious thing?" The redhead asked and Beca met her eyes. They were darker than usual, she could feel their worry and concern although the rest of Chloe's face was soft and normal. "I'm not going to push you, Becs. In fact, we can sit here all night if that's how long it takes."

Beca felt her lips twitch into a barely there smile and she squeezed Chloe's hand, gulping heavily,"I'm uhm, I'm homeless," she managed to mumble the words out. At first she thought Chloe hadn't heard her, but then the redhead face shifted, her lips forming into a frown and her blue eyes turned sad. Beca didn't like that, the look on Chloe's face, she didn't like that she could see the tears brimming in her eyes. Those pretty blue eyes.