FLAMES 07: Enchanted To Meet You

EUCHLEID

She didn't say a word since we started walking until we reached the bubble tea shop owned by my father. I couldn't tell how many minutes or hours she had spent lost in her thoughts. When I handed her the bubble tea with the flavor I chose for her, that was the only time she looked at me and smiled as if nothing had happened.

"Matcha? Favorite flavor 'to ng idol ko! Thankyou po!" her smile was bright, yet her eyes betrayed a hint of gloom. It struck me then why she seems to enjoy her inner world; she seeks solace there to escape from her troubling reality.

You never truly know what someone might be dealing with privately. No matter how happy they seem, how loud their laughter is, or how bright their smile appears, they could still be experiencing deep emotional pain.

I couldn't believe her mother could afford to hurt such an innocent and fragile girl like her. Seeing her mother grab her hair really filled me with rage. I didn't know there could be someone worse than my own mother. I had thought mine was the worst already.

I wanted to ask if "it" happened often to her, if she was okay, but it seemed she didn't want to talk about it, judging by the way she smiled at me. Mas okay sana kung mailabas niya. Walang maitutulong kung lagi siyang magpapanggap na ayos lang siya.

Before we can heal, we must acknowledge what we're going through and feel it. Convincing ourselves that we are okay without actually facing the problem will only add up to the baggage.

Look who's talking. Maliban sa'kin, I don't need healing.

"Ganito pala ang lasa nito." Mas ninamnam niya ang lasa nung matcha. "Hindi ko siya type pero dahil favorite ni Dae-Hyun 'to uubusin ko na rin."

"Dae-Hyun?"

"Opo, K-pop Idol po 'yun. Ang pinakamamahal ko pong asawa. Kilala niyo po?"

"Yeah. I heard alot about them."

"Woah, ang galing po nila 'no? Sobrang guwapo na talented pa. Lalo na si Dae-Hyun, kahit na mukha siyang walking red flag." She giggled. "Flag pole naman ako."  

I smiled faintly.

It's my half brother she's talking about. Nobody knows that I'm related to him because I don't wish to be recognized as a popular K-pop idol's half-brother. Look how lucky that dude is. He got the support of my biological mother to reach our shared dreams. Now the girl I admire is enjoying the drink I made because it's his favorite.

For the second time, he won the heart of the person I care about without trying so hard. Good for him.

"Idadaan ko na lang po rito bukas ang bayad ko bago po ako umalis," sabi niya na nagpa-alarma sa akin.

She's leaving by tomorrow?

I wanted to ask, but I couldn't bring myself to speak. Hindi makapali kong sinuntok ang hita ko. Why so sudden?

I thought about folding the clothes on the edge of the table, but she stopped me.

"A-Ano po ang g-gagawin mo?"

I will distract myself until I find the courage to ask you why you have to leave.

"Titiklupin po, ayo'kong panoorin ka lang na uminom," sagot ko.