Shadow Counsel

Laurel Wood - A proficient man in both regimented discipline and scrupulous shorthand, had become the youngest appointed secretary to the conclave. A position - in his stringent manner, he took quite seriously.

With his pen and paper always on hand - and his ears keenly tuned, he made it his prerogative to be present - recording, all official and unofficial conclave business.

Such was his persistence in the matter, that rumours had spread, a spy master was the common consensus, he - however found notion derogatory and Ill-founded. He like to think of himself as an historian, wholly believe his detailed accounts would one day be the premise of which man would judge the conclave. 

A heavy burden for any man, but for laurel wood, it meant he had a sacred duty to ensure his minutes were accurate and precise. However, he will admit his dedication to factual integrity often put him in some unseemly positions.

Which was why the hypocrisy - of his current predicament, was not lost on him. As he sat a few bookcases down from his fellow Vatican and conclave members, in all black attire which helped blend him into the shadows, the dull light afforded him. Nor the irony as he watched them on his tablet by means of a hacked cctv feed, while he dictated and listened in to their covert conversation.

Matters, such as the one they were discussing were not meant to be decided upon without all thirteen conclave members. However, Unbeknownst to their angelic counterparts, six of his peers - men entrusted to make both holy and celestial decisions in favour of the greater good, had formed a seedy shadow counsel

For their coup d'etat the cardinals had chosen the library hidden within the tower of winds, it seemed only fitting, where best to keep a secret than the secret archive. And with evening mass ongoing, the select archivists allowed access to great mystery, were nowhere to be seen. They - for the most part, were alone, watched only by the eyes of authors long since passed and Laurel.

The very reason for this secret meet was in fact the thirteenth member of the conclave, Corvus - whose only purpose being on the council was to be the deciding vote. Neither light or dark, he was completely uncompromising and unbiased, he also just so happened to be the youngest of the First Four siblings. A complication considering the topic currently being discussed.

Gathered in a circle, they dwelled within a secluded aisle - hidden from view, should archivist return early.  The count stood at five hands to one, Giovanni, the sole opposition - Laurel noted.

"You can't be serious," he urged his friends. "She is just a girl."

"A girl who destroyed the heads of the goji! We all heard what Micheal and Gabriel said. And now the First Four grant her asylum!" The hackle came from Cardinal John Sprout - old in his age and bitter of Giovanni position, he stood. His shaking fists and swishing robe gathered the group into resounding aye's.

Giovanni shook his head, "On Gabriel's and Michael's word alone? We would deliver a death sentence? Were is the proof the girl is even a threat?"

"The messenger does not lie!" Cardinal Pietro's indigent voice rose above the questioning murmurs. "His word is proof enough."

"And Micheal? It is well known he bends the truth to suit his liking." Giovanni argued.

The crowd cried out in hushed uproar, to accuse the people's protector of lies, was beyond repose.

Cardinal Marizen motioned for silence, his beady eyes narrowed, his Roman chin raised in jeer.

"Gentlemen," he addressed. "We must forgive Giovanni's blindness, he is like a dog loyally following a bad master, a man who betrayed our holy father's sacred laws." 

"My love for Brother O'Connor does not shield my eyes from the truth nor does it lighten what I know in my heart. We promised his family protection, and yet we gave none. In our failings, are we not equally to blame?"

"He asked for too much!" Sprout snubbed.

"He asked for a guardian to watch his family. And we disregarded his need, we couldn't even spare just one guardian? One - out of many?." Giovanni sighed sadly.

"We are at war! Everyday our flocks grow weaker while Lucifers legions increase in number." Marizen preached, "and you, Giovanni would weaken us further. Take away our soldiers to protect a small few. What of the many? Who would defend them?"

"We swore an oath to our brother, and we broke his trust. And now you will add great insult to injury by taking away his only niece? I for one will not be apart of your treason. Take heed of my words and listen well, our angel councilmen will not stand for this betrayal. They will stand for their brethren. And when they do, a new war will be upon us. One we will not win." With his piece said, Giovanni took his leave. He would bare no witness to the conclaves deceit.

"The vote still stands." Marizen stated, "five to one."

"Perhaps Giovanni is right?" Cardinal Antoine spoke for the first time, having remained silent during the debate. "In our failings to protect the Winter family, have we damned ourselves? Is she God's punishment?"

"Are you mad?" Sprout spat. "This is the devil's work! She is nothing more than a pretender."

"If you are wrong, John. And she is who we suspect then she will bring about a new order, and with it an end to man." Another silent conspirator - cardinal Samuel Rodriguez, spoke up.

His sad yet accurate statement was met with hushed agreement.

"Which is why we need to end her before she ends us." Marizen stated.

With a series of nods from his fellow men, he continued. "So it is settled, the motion has been passed -- I will inform Michael of his new objective."

"And our angel councilmen, what will we tell them?" Rodriguez asked.

"Nothing." Marizen answered. "We all know they will not side with us in this matter, they will believe it to be Gods work and withdraw. We will be alone in our damnation."

"And you think Micheal will not question his directive? Won't ask why we are breaking our treaty with the first four?" Rodriguez  asked.

"Not to mention the First Four will be watching her now, protecting. How will Michael even get to her?" Antione spoke in tangent.

Marizen laughed, "He's a good, obedient solider, he will not question his orders. And as to how -- it's simple, the grounds offer their services to both sides, he'll simply walk in." He flashed a smug smile before at his wrist which bore no watch, and uttered . "The hour is late, gentlemen."

Taking his leave both Sprout and Pietro followed swiftly. Leaving Antione and Rodriguez behind.

"Giovanni was right," Antione whispered -when the celestials learn of our deceit -- they will abandon us, and there will be war of the likes we have never seen." Stepping in line with his old friend their hands clasped behind their backs and tight with worry.

"Ce but we will see it. Though underhand they may be, Marizens actions are not wrong. Should the girl live.."

"Then man will not. I know this my old friend, yet it does not ease my worry. Perhaps we were wrong to interfere."

"Or perhaps this was God's plan all along."

"If not, let us pray he forgives us for our selfishness."

With the two men's exit, Laurel removed himself from his hiding place. Tucking his notes away firmly in his chest pocket, he waited for a moment or two for the footsteps in the hall to dissipate.

Espionage had never been his strong suit, and quite frankly it had been tempting to reveal himself, object and voice his concerns. Only his determination to his duty had kept him still and silent, it was not his place to take part in the discussion. He simply made sure they were recorded.

Yet as he walked down the aisle of dusty shelves -holding historical truths hidden from the public domain, he had to wonder would his notes of today's meet the fate? Would the world know what had transpired today? Or would it be covered up and blame laid at some else's feet?