Fall From Grace

"It suits you." Ami smiled, taking off her coat, and admiring Eva's home. She'd done well for herself, in the last six months, she'd left the grounds stronger, moved in with a hunk and started her own business.

"Thanks." Eva called from kitchen. Giving Ami plenty of time to nosey.

She eyed the little trinkets on the fireplace, and brushed her fingers over the steam trunk coffee table. A stack of unpacked boxes stood off to the side. Tracing the thick black lettering on the front, Ami sighed recognising the bold print to be of her sister's hand. Lues - the two them hadn't spoken in the last six months, not since they found themselves on opposing sides of an argument.

"You two still not talking?" Eva asked, placing a bowl of chips with dip on the coffee table while holding a cold beer out for her to grab.

"She still prescribing you drugs?"

Nodding her head, Eva perched on the arm of her Edwardian style chaise.

"Then no, we're still not talking." Taking a swig, Ami sat down on the chaise, and propped her head against the backrest, savouring the taste.

"She's only doing what I asked." Eva sighed.

Ami rolled her eyes, it was her belief Eva just needed to practice strengthening her mental will to quieten the voices, not the aid of anti-psychotic drugs. Unlike Lues, who - with her fancy medical degree and Harvard eduction believed latter.

"So, how long is the fair staying in town for?" Eva asked, conveniently avoiding another long debate on the matter.

"A week or two, you should come by and visit. War is itching for a decent sparing partner." Ami chuckled as she noticed Eva wince.

"I'll think about it, I'm still sporting bruises from my last visit."

Laughing, Ami dipped a chip, idly scanning the room again.

"A lepidopterist, huh? Who'd thought there was money in pinning butterflies?" Which reminded her - digging into to her purse, she pulled out a tin box and handed it to Eva . "Maria sends her compliments, she said to let her know how the grey ones do, she's tried something different this time."

"Will do." Eva grinned and opened the box, a rainbow of voodoo pins were nestled within.

"You know you'd make more money at the fair pinning those moths of yours, than selling your butterflies on eBay."

"I more than get by with what I make on the internet, thanks. Plus Griffin helps out too."

"Yeah I bet he does." Ami grumbled, none too pleased. Rumour had it that delicious roommate of hers was selling information to the Conclave, a notion which made Ami uneasy.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I've heard the rumours. The conclave? I though you both knew better." Ami shook her head.

"Don't." Eva moaned, rubbing at her temples again. "Don't make judgements when you don't know the whole story. He has reasons for working with them."

"They'd better be damn good reasons." Ami cursed, downing her drink. The conclave were known to be colour blind, seeing only in monochromatic tones.

"You said it yourself, when I left the grounds I'd be hunted. And we all know Micheal is gunning for me, Griffin gathers information which gets us a step ahead of him. That's all." Eva grunted.

Ami rushed to her side. "What's wrong?" She asked, cupping Eva's cheek and hissing as it burnt her hand.

Clutching her stomach, Eva groaned. Her beer bottle falling from her hands, the fizzing liquid spilled over her plush rug.