Prologue

Mack is screwed. So screwed. And not even in the funky way. Oh no. This is bad, this is really really bad. It can only end in disaster, heart-break, and suffering for everyone involved.

Ever since she was a little girl, Mack was a bit oblivious about her feelings. She has always been a one-track-mind kind of girl, and her tendency to focus on a very few things (read : surf and work) meant her opinions or feelings on other stuff always crept up on her. It always took her way too long to catch up on the fact that she had developped a crush on someone.

At twelve, she dreamt of Cameron. For the first time in her short life, she really realized she was crushing on someone. The dream in itself was sweet. It was a could-have-happened kind of dream, where Mack dropped her pen and Cameron picked it up and, instead of giving it back to Mack, held her hand and kissed her knuckles. When she had woken up, it was like her thoughts about her classmate had shifted now that her feelings had manifested themselves.

It had been the same with Brady. After months of fun at the beach after class, after even more weekly surfing competitions between the two of them, after too many to count long walks home... She had dreamt of Brady. She had dreamt of Brady laughing with her, both of them on the crest of an awesome wave, and then Brady had looked at her, and for the first time she had been able to feel the warmth in his gaze, a warmth that was aimed at her and her only.

She had woken up with butterflies in her stomach and a smile on her face.

Which is why she is screwed. She just woke up, and she has butterflies in her stomach and a smile on her face. But she didn't dream about Brady.

Her dream was about Lela.