Prologue

What is the worth of a life? Can it have in gold? Can you measure it in meters or inches? Weigh it in pounds or ounces? Can one life equal the cost of many? I’d spent many years contemplating these questions and more. I once asked myself “how many stars are there?” and then I spent twenty years trying to count them. I asked myself can if I could achieve immortality, and I did naturally. I asked myself if I could be the most powerful man in the world… I couldn’t.

                You may be asking, “If you’re immortal, how are you not the most powerful?” Well, I’m not God. I’m not a god or goddess, and even so they are subjected to weakness. So, why am I not powerful? Because of one man, Alexander.

                Now, that man was powerful. He was a wonderful leader, a great father, the best husband I’d met. I wasn’t even as good a husband as him. And through his whole life. He only ever lost hope once… And it never happened again. He always kept his head high, even when he was looking down. A smile even when he wept. And laughed, even in anger. And out of all he taught me before his last days, the one lesson I’ve remembered in all these years is… I’m not more important than an ant.

                Everyone is equal in life, whether you’re disabled or rich. You are not more important than the fly is for life. We all have a place in this world and before I pass into the next life I must find mine. I must find the answer… What is the worth of one life?