Unfortunate News

Kayra's PoV

As I laid in bed asleep, the sun pierced through my window; hitting my body with its warmth and light. Reluctant to get out of bed as my eyes bloomed, I turned my back towards the burning light.

"Kayra!" My mother's voice called.

"Yeah." I responded sleepily.

"Kayra!" She called again.

My eyes shot open and landed on the digital clock next to my bed.

8:07 AM

As I got up, I yawned.
"Coming mom." I said.

I walked out of my bedroom and went to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth.

As I stepped into the living room, I saw my mother holding an envelope in her hand; bright smile on her face.

"Kayra, I got the news from the job that I applied for." She said.
"Open it." I said as I walked into the kitchen to pour coffee into a mug.
"Alright, I wanted you to be in the room when I opened it." She said as she opened it; taking out a neatly folded letter.

I began drinking the coffee when my mother began to read the letter.

Congratulations Mrs. Bryans, you have been accepted for the job.

As I continued to drink, my mother then gasped.

"The job is sending us to England!" She exclaimed excitedly; My grip on the mug weakened and it fell from my hand.

"What?!" I exclaimed; ignoring the hot coffee that splashed on me from the broken mug.

"We're moving to London." She said calmly. "This week."

"No! I don't want to go! I can't go!" I said as my face displayed a sour expression.

"We will talk about this later, go get ready for school." She said; putting the conversation on hold.

With a groan of frustration, I complied.

At school
I didn't greet Jazmine and Jamie like I usually did. I spent my morning, by myself in the library. I was just so frustrated that I didn't want to be around anyone.

As I walked from the library to go to my class, I walked slowly and subconsciously bumped into my crush.

My crush was a tall brown skinned boy with a cool happy demeanor. His eyes dark brown; His hair a lighter shade of his eyes; and that smile he had, was the definition of white and also bright. His name; Michael Hofferman jr, however, everyone calls him Mick.

With the frustration that I had, I angrily groaned.
"Are you alright Kayla?" He asked.
"My name is Kay-Ra!" I exclaimed as I got up and stormed off.
I heard him apologize while I was storming off, however, I kept walking towards my class.

"Kayra Bryans!" A voice called.
"What do you want!" I said angrily as I turned to face the person.

When I saw who it was I was ashamed and embarrassed.

"Sorry Ms. Fencer." I immediately said.
"I'm disappointed in you, I didn't expect you to display such behavior." She said. "I'm giving you detention at lunch and after school!"

"No please don't, you can't!" I argued.

"My words are final!" She said sternly.

I groaned in frustration and started to walk off angrily again.

"Make that detention for the whole week!" She shouted which prompted me to turn around.

"Well too bad for you cause that isn't possible!" I exclaimed in fury.
This caught the attention of my friends.
"Calm down Kayra." Jamie said boldly.
"Would everyone just leave me alone!" I shouted loudly in anger and stormed out the school.

Jamie's PoV

After Kayra's display of anger, I went to talk to Ms. Fencer to see what happened.

"Ms. Fencer? What did you tell Kayra that she's so upset?" I asked.

"I called her to ask her a question and she had a rude outburst so I gave her detention and she continued being rude so I gave her detention all week." She explained.

"Kayra is not one to show emotions like this, something must have happened." Jakaira said.

Kayra's PoV

Outside of the building, I was alone and tears began to race down my cheeks. I was soon joined by Jamie who embraced me.

"What's wrong Kayra?" She asked.
"Nothing!" I lied. "I just want to be alone."

"Then why are you crying?" She asked.

"I just am! Okay? I just am." I said and turned to run before I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Stop lying to me." Jamie said softly but loud enough for me to hear. "You know how I feel about lies."

"Just go away! Leave me alone Jamie!" I said before swatting her hand from my shoulder; running away.

After a while of being by myself, I went to the principal for a class entrance slip so I could get inside and attempt the work.

"Ms. Bryans, why are we so late, hmm?" The principal asked.

"Didn't Ms. Fencer tell you what happened this morning?" I asked calmly.

"I'm afraid not. Do enlighten me." He said.

"I was already having a really bad day and then Ms. Fencer called me but I accidentally answered in frustration and she gave me a week of detention which won't be possible." I said; my anger slowly returning.

"Why isn't it possible?" He asked.
"Because.....because..... Because I'm leaving this week to go England!" I exclaimed with tears.

"It's going to be okay Kayra. I'll speak to Ms. Fencer and see if she can take away the detention." He said calmly. "Do you want to speak with the school counselor for a while?"

"No thanks." I said; wiping the tears from my eyes. "Thank you very much Principal Slocombe."

"It's alright Kayra. Here's an entrance slip." He said; passing a paper that he signed for entrances to classes late.

I flashed the slip at the teacher for permission to enter the class.

"You may not enter Ms. Bryans." She said.
Then I realized that the teacher was none other than Ms. Fencer.

"Come on Ms. Fencer, let her in the class." Ed, a boy whose madly in love with me, said.

"Edward Graham, do you want detention all week like Kayra does?" She asked harshly.

"You know, that wouldn't b-" Ed began.

"If you don't want me in here that's alright. I'll just leave." I said depressingly as I turned to leave for the library.

"What's up with her?" I heard Jessica whisper to Jazmine.
"I don't know but later we will find out." Jazmine replied in a whisper.

I walked away; trying my best not to cry.

'Worst Day of my Life!' I angrily thought. 'Why?! Why did it have to be such happy news wrapped up in unfortunate news?!'