Chapter 1

"Ava!!" My mom yells from downstairs in the kitchen. She is currently making breakfast-I can smell the pancakes-before I have to leave to settle in at my college dorm room. I am going to NYU to major in Psychology.

I have wanted to be a psychologist since I could remember, but as time goes on you change your mind. I officially decided my senior year of high school at Oceanside High. Go Sailors! I had the best psychology teacher ever there. Her teaching method was phenomenal. She kept things interesting and made psychology more than I ever thought it was. She is the woman who brought me to the conclusion of becoming a psychologist, Mrs. Gamble. I will forever look up to her and always have her in mind when making my decisions. I always knew I wanted to help people. This may not be the best way at doing that but this is my way.

"I'll be down in a minute." I get up out of my bed and make my way to my bathroom where I take a quick shower and then brush my teeth. I go to my dresser where I pull out my undergarments and slip them on. I then go to my closet and decide what to wear. I want to make a first impression but I do not want to look slutty. I finally decide on a black sweater crop top with blue skinny jeans and some black vans. I lightly brush my hair and make my way to the kitchen.

I am an only child so it will be just me and my mom eating. My father and mother got a divorce a couple years ago so he is no longer in the picture. He claims he is going to visit us once a month but that never happens. Instead we get a big fat envelop with a chunk of money.

I stop midway on the steps to check myself in the mirror to make sure I look presentable. I adjust my shirt and attempt to make it cover my stomach more because I know my mother will have something to say about my outfit. I fix my hair and attempt to make it seem less frizzy but nothing works so I put it up in a ponytail. My mother comes around the corner when I finally descend the stairs.

I assume to yell my name again.

"Ava, why can't you put some less provocative clothing on?" My mother asks when she notices I am right in front of her. I ignore her snide comment and continue walking to the kitchen. I do not want her to ruin my day. I am going to NYU! I could not be more excited!!

"Ava? Did you hear me?" My mother follows me right on my heels.

"Yes, mother." I huff. I take a seat at the dinner table.

"Then answer me when I talk to you." This is just like my mother. She gets like this when she doesn't get what she wants or when she is gonna be lonely or when she is being protective or when she is being jealous.

"Okay, mother." I cut a piece of pancake and pop it in my mouth. "Thanks, mother. It is really good." I say as I take another bite. Although my mother treats me like this I still have to be nice to her because she is my mother and she is paying for my college.

"Your welcome, sweetie. Hurry up though so we can make it before ten." It is currently nine. There is a forty-five minute drive to NYU from my house. My mother has work at 2. She likes to be super early to everything.

"Okay." I mumble as I chomp down on the rest of my food.

As I finish I put my dishes away in the sink and go get my bags from upstairs in my room and bring them downstairs. We pile them in the trunk of the car and make the drive to NYU!!

***

I get giddy inside as I see the purple flag on the concrete building come into view. I point it out to my mom and she finds a parking spot on the side of the building. I tell my mom I will be a minute. I get out the car and examine the building. A concrete tower with windows on every floor. Above the door it reads,