~Conflict~

Aphmau's POV

*Play Song*

"No." Katelyn crosses her arms.

"Please, Katelyn." I plead, my voice rising to a desperate, squeaky tone.

"You know what Sylvana said." Katelyn reminds me, her powder blue tail undulating in the ocean's slight current.

I plop down on my bed that resided in my spacious room, which was underwater. Everything was underwater, my whole world—-all I've ever known.

"I want to see the world, Katelyn, I'm done being kept in this room!" I groan, my eyes fixating on my ombre purple scales, admiring how they lined my petite mermaid tail.

Katelyn avoids eye contact with me, her powder blue hair swaying aimlessly in the seawater.

"Aphmau, you know why you can't see the world......"

I drop my head, staring at the area where my tail meets the human half of my body.

"The world isn't even that great, Aphmau, it's terrible! It's in chaos!" Katelyn throws her arms up, the water slowing down her quick motion.

"I want to meet people, Katelyn, and don't get me wrong, you're an amazing friend, but I want.....more...." I bring my hand along my scales, feeling every single texture that adorned each scale.

"I know that Aphmau but...." Before Katelyn could finish, the opulent doors of my bedroom yawned open, revealing the royal merman guards.

"I gotta go, Aphmau, but just.....maybe you can talk to Sylvana?" She suggests, swimming gradually towards the door.

"Heh, she's the queen of the ocean, Katelyn, it's not like she has time for me..."

"Well, you are the princess of the ocean, and that should mean something too." And with that last statement, Katelyn swims out into the hallway.

I turn from the now-closed doors to my wide floor-to-ceiling window, adjacent to my bed.

I look out, like I usually do, admiring the beautiful coral and fishes swimming around in the current. Free and unbound, with a whole world of possibilities before them.

Why....

Why must I be cursed by this horrific evil?

One that prevents me from having a life...

One that makes anyone passing by me, afraid.

I am the Ultima, after all.

And Ultima's powers can change mermaid into human.

And human into mermaid...

At the sight of my purple eyes...

They are hazel most of the time, but whenever I'm angered...

They emerge from within and release a fatal evil...

I've learned to control it, but it's still uncontrollable at times.

When my mother gave birth to me, her Ultima powers went to me. Only one mermaid, at a time, has the Ultima's powers.

So at this current time, that mermaid is me.

And humans hate mermaids, and mermaids hate humans.

It's as simple as that.

My father, who possessed a genuine heart, tried to stop the madness between our races...

Until one night, pirates broke into our palace, wearing one of the few underwater breathing spells, and headed for me, trying to kill the one thing that could threaten their race's existence.

And right after one of the pirates had hit me, my father went berserk.

Though sadly and rather quickly, we were pathetically overrun.

My father—who had killed all but one pirate, who escaped—fell to the palace's floor, the water wrapping around him, signifying that his time has come.

As I sat at his side as he began to pass on, he whispered to me words that have, and will haunt me, for the rest of my life.

"The violence encouraged by one's conflict, sometimes can only be resolved by another's sacrifice, and that my dear, is your guide, in the terrible events yet to come, but I know, you will succeed..."

And with that, the water rushed quickly around him, and he disappeared, his soul now with the sea.

Those words for years kept swimming around my head. (GET IT SWIMMING?!)

What was to happen that was so much more terrible than what had already happened....

I was about to find out.

Likey? MERMAIDS YO!

Have a nice day my crystals!