The Beginning

JONATHAN

As my parents' dark gray car pulled up the steep driveway, my stomach felt like it was flying. They were bringing me a "surprise that will change your life!" as my parents explained before leaving. I put on a white and jean-blue Abercrombie shirt and jean shorts. I went to my bedroom's long, vertical mirror and looked at myself. I always loved jeans since it went well with my dark blue-ish black hair, my tan skin and my dark-chocolate eyes. I noticed how my straight hair on my oval head contrasted to my mother's curly hair. As I ran down from my house's third floor to its main level, I abruptly stopped at the second level.

     "My glasses!" I exclaimed loudly, although no one was in the house to hear me. I ran down the hallway and entered the first room on the left. I went into my office/library. There were two bookshelves on the left wall, one stuffed with books and another full of souvenirs from my travels, and a desk in the back facing a window with a majestic city-view. I went to my desk and on the desktop were my gray sunglasses-shaped glasses. I didn't like any of the options for my glasses, so I used old sunglasses. I grabbed them, and I went down to the main level.

     When I reached the main level, I ran straight to the entrance room and put on my glasses. Just as I finished putting on my sandals, the lock on the chocolate-colored door clicked. As soon as I heard it, my excitement reached new levels and I couldn't stand still. The door was opened slowly as I started to lose my patience because the world seemed to be going way too slowly.

     A hispanic 35 year-old woman with dark-brown curly hair with natural highlights and light brown eyes poked her head in. It was my mom, and she looked to the right and then to the left. When she saw me right there in left of her, she jumped back and gave a quick yelp. "Oh, my," my mom whispered, putting her hand on her heart, "you almost gave me a heart attack, Jon!"

     "Sorry," I apologized, "I was just so excited for that present you said you'd get me for my 15th birthday."

     "Yes, of course," my mom replied, "I understand."

     Then, my Mexican father walked in. He had straight hair like me and a square, chiseled face. I was surprised that he decided to become an architect instead of a model. Anyways, his short hair was speckled with white hairs since he was 40, and he had a million-dollar smile.

     "Hey, Jon!" my dad exclaimed when he saw me. I just smiled at him because my excitement made me unable to talk.

     "Are you ready for your present?" my parents asked simultaneously after nodding at each other. I nodded my head with vigor as my parents locked eye contact with me.

     "Well," my mom said excitedly as my dad opened the rest of the door,"here is your present!"

     What I saw made my body go numb, and my head started to spin. My present did change my life, but not for the better.