The Rejection

JONATHAN

No, I did not like her from the beginning. The moment she came up to me and told me her name was Vanessa made me wish I never turned 15.

"Hey, I'm Vanessa," the girl in a red knee-length dress said. Her curly hair was surprisingly like my mom's, but anybody's curly hair resembled my mother's.

At that moment, I decided to set up a façade and pretend to be nice. I knew it wouldn't be that hard, as I was always good at hiding my dislike. So, I put on a charming smile and said, "Hey, Vanessa, I'm Jonathan."

My parents just stood there, teary-eyed and smiling. Once we finished greeting each other, Vanessa and I -Correction I thought Me and Vanessa. I'M at the top of the foodchain, not her- turned and looked at our parents for a solid 2 and a half minutes. As we waited, a smell of lilac perfume reached my nose. I knew it was Vanessa, there would be no problem for me to stay the favorite. Once my parents realized we were done exchanging greetings, they hurriedly came to their senses.

"Uhm, Jonathan," my father said with soothing voice, " this is Vanessa-

"And she's your sister," my mom added kindly.

I turned to face at Vanessa and then at my parents. I tried to think of a response but I couldn't. Well, not anything nice. So, I replied with, "Adopted sister, you mean." I made sure to put a lot of emphasis on "adopted." I could tell Vanessa was offended. She was rubbing her palms together in a choppy manner.

"Well, yes," my mom replied nervously. I could see sweat starting to bud on her forehead. I smiled because I knew that I had this family wrapped around my little finger.

"We thought that having a sister would help improve your family skills," my father added quickly, smiling.

" Well," I started, thinking of a way to say "thank you," "I appreciate the fact that you thought about me when making this, er... important family decision."

My parents looked at me, both with a relieved expression. I guess they were nervous for making such a rash decision. Not even with my acknowledgement nor my consent.

__________________________________________________________

After my parents gave Vanessa a tour, they gave her a room. A room that had to be so conveniently placed to mine. As I laid in bed reading, I could hear Vanessa unpack. I heard her suitcase being laid onto the somewhat squeaky bed, the locks on her luggage literally SMASHING open, and I even heard her rearranging her room. And worst of all, my parents were going to take her shopping. One day in this family, I thought, and she is already being treated like a queen.

After fuming under all my anger, I decided that I would make her life as miserable as possible. Like the saying goes,

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies CLOSER."