Chapter 6 - Part 1

Thank you to kyriion for the following cover - the first one I've gotten for this book unsolicited!! It looks awesome!! :-D

Haley's POV

A breeze had fluttered into my room overnight, inciting me to wake up in the morning with goosebumps traveling across my skin. Looking out my bay window with the decorations and memorabilia of my childhood surrounding me, I felt comforted deep within my soul in a way that I hadn't been for a very long time.

All it had taken was visiting my true home again.

Smiling peacefully, I got up from my bed to face the day, getting more eager to do so as I smelled my mom's  homemade chocolate chip pancakes- my favorite. I had put on my fluffy angry bird slippers and was halfway down the stairs when it actually hit me what today was.

Theater day.

Closing my eyes tightly, I remembered doing theater day my freshman year- one of the few good memories I had of Sam and I before things got bad and I'd fled to go see Amy instead of facing my problems head on. And, as luck would have it, I was going back to school today to see theater day as I'd promised Jenna, face Sam for the first time in three years, and confront the fears and the bitter anger that had held me hostage for just as long.

Easy peasy.

"Um, Halle bell, you planning on going down the rest of these steps any day today? My stomach is starting to sound like a wild bear." Maiko said from behind me.

I shook myself out of my stupor and smiled away the concern on her face, allowing her to thread her arm through mine and walk into the kitchen where food and a ravenous Lindsey were surely awaiting us.

***

I stared at myself in the mirror for a while, contemplating the outfit it had taken me almost an hour to pick out last night. A soft, navy blue romper with tiny, pastel pink flowers scattered all over it, paired with beige, fringed, wedged booties and a dark brown belt. Long, roped necklaces wrapped around my neck and various rings adorned my fingers. I'd also chosen to let my hair out in loose curls and wore light makeup, choosing to only accent my best assets- like my eyes- than try and go heavy with makeup on such a hot day.

The most daring thing I'd worn was the rhinestone encrusted, flower hair-clip Sam had gifted me on my tenth birthday. I wanted to keep one of my happy memories of us on me when I settled the past with him once and for all.

*Haley's outfit on Lucy Hale*